Ergebnis 1 bis 6 von 6
    Taschenbillard-Spieler Avatar von Saith*Masu*

Standard Die Bücherei - Fragen und Antworten zum AC - Franchise (sehr intressant)

Klicke auf die Grafik für eine größere Ansicht 

Name:	McDevitt 2.jpg 
Hits:	147406 
Größe:	65,7 KB 
ID:	18869

Please come in traveler,....and find the answers you seek.

Und damit ein herzliches Willkommen zu einer sehr intressanten Frage und Antwort Runde.
    Darby McDewitt hat zum Thema Assassin's Creed ein sehr ausführliches und ehrliches Q&A gegeben.
    Die Seite auf der dies stattfand nennt sich: Assassin's Creed Initiates und kann unter diesem Link gefunden werden:

-> https://acinitiates.com/forum/discussion/3904/page/1

Ich habe mir nun die Arbeit gemacht und das komplette Q&A zusammengefasst.
    Was wurde also verändert/verbessert?

1. Nur die Fragen und die Antworten, die letztendlich von MR Dewitt beantwortet wurden sind hier eingetragen.
    Wie ihr allerdings feststellen werdet sind das nicht weniger als 256! Eine erstaunliche Menge, zusammengetragen aus mehreren Tagen.

2. Falls Rechtschreibfehler vorhanden sind, stehe ich dafür in keinerlei Verantwortung. Fall mir beim sotieren welche aufgefallen sind, habe ich diese korrigiert.

3. Es wurden Nummern hinzugefügt, die jede Frage und Antwort klar voneinander unterscheidet

4. Die Fragen sind immer in FETT dargestellt, die Antworten immer in normaler Schrift.

Anmerkung: Es ist alles im Englischen wiedergegeben. Die Übersetzung ins Deutsche wäre bei mehr als 120000 Zeichen etwas viel Aufwand!

Warum dieser Thread?
    Nun es hat sich herausgestellt, das es viele Ungereimtheiten innerhalb Communitys und Foren gibt.
    Es werden häufig Vermutungen aufgestellt, die allerdings längst nicht mehr dem Sachgehalt entsprechen.
    Viele Dinge über das Franchise sind zudem nicht bekannt, oder es werden falsche Vorstellungen gehegt.
    Hier werden nun viele Dinge geklärt!

Mr. Dewitt gibt hierzu in einer manchmal sehr amüsanten Art Auskunft, manchmal sehr präzise, manchmal ausführlich, manchmal kurz und knapp.
    Hier einmal ein kurzes Beispiel:

Frage: How did you first think of the observatory?

Antwort: I was interested in the theme of surveillance, both in the modern day and the past. So I thought, "how would the First Civ keep watch over their human slaves... just as many governments keep watch on their citizens today. So I invented the Observatory as an ancient equivalent to this. Also, I am not a big fan of Uber powerful science fiction devices. The Apple of Eden was a little too crazy... it seemed like it could do everything, like Doctor Who's sonic screwdriver. So I wanted to invent a device that had a more grounded and obvious use.

Intressiert?

Also dann los

Fragen und Antworten:

1) WHY EDWARD?

After the so-called "Ezio Trilogy", we wanted to do something different, something other than showing the entire life of a single character. And because we were already well into making Haytham and Connor's story in AC3, our team proposed the idea of going back in time and showing, through Edward, how the Kenways got involved in the Assassin-Templar conflict in the first place. Internally we called this the Kenway Saga...

2) I feel like there was alot less emphasis on the darkness depicted in the optional quests (notes, audio logs, etc...) outside of the animus, and felt like the storyline with Abstergo diddent really reflect that dark aspect enough in the gameplay itself while running around in abstergo. I was kind of expecting to see secret labs with human "samples" and a more "out of control" feel in gameplay.

There are two reasons you didn't see as much "Darkness" in the present day: First, Abstergo Entertainment is only a subsidiary of Abstergo Industries, and its not where the Templars do most of their plotting. It's just a fun software and entertainment company with lots of talented employees. In fact, I don't think any of the people who work at Abstergo Entertainment are actually Templars, with the exception of Olivier... I never decided what his affiliation was, though he does know who his bosses are. But most people at AE just work for Templars without even knowing it.
    This feeds into the second point... we do not want the Assassin-Templar conflict to feel like a melodrama in our universe. The Templars are not strictly evil; they simply feel like they are uniquely qualified to lead humanity to a better place. And part of the way they do this is by controling the media and means of production, etc. This means that MOST of the companies they control are going to be ordinary businesses with ordinary people working in them. If we depicted every bit of Abstergo as dark and evil, most of you would have a hard time believing the
    Templars could actually get away with the crazy stuff they do.

3) HOW "ASSASSIN'S CREED" WILL LEAVE?

Do you mean how will the series End? I have no idea. The current storylines will likely end in the next few years, but the AC universe will go on as long as we can.

4) In your next installment, will you in Modern Day have more things to do? I would enjoy traveling and seeing your latest Initiates update, it can set up alot of peril for us just like the situation with Black Flag. While 5 missions may seem like much it was so short it seems like we did absolutely nothing and the resolution was disappointing.

Unfortunately for fans of the Desmond Trilogy-style of present day, we probably won't be going back to that... but not because we didn't enjoy it. It's more of a time and resource issue....
    Whenever we make a new AC game, we research our new time period for many many months. Then we get talented people to design characters, buildings, textures, props, etc. to populate this world. We also come up with a storyline that weaves itself into history and brings the time period to life. This takes a TREMENDOUS amount of effort. Now imagine having to do that twice for each single game... making present day characters, textures, sounds, music, art, gameplay too. It's crazy. And even though the present day usually ammounts to only 5 percent of the gameplay, the amount of assets we have created in the past for them add up to a lot more. AC3 had to create textures for Brazil, New York, another Abstergo Office, and the Temple. That's about as much work as making another full city. Not easy.

This past-present split is something every AC team has struggled with from day one: How do we do justice to BOTH time periods. The short answer is: It's really hard. Most people love AC for its historical tourism and WE love the thrill of bringing those places to life... so after the Desmond trilogy, we decided we would need to approach the present day in a much looser fashion... and in a strange way, it works out quite well.

Because the present day in AC is now concurrent with the real world, each AC present day can take place "In Real Time"... that is... whenever you purchase the game is when it takes place. Also, this gives each AC team the freedom to approach the present in whatever way they choose... so it's a fresh experience every time. (You probably won't see the inside of Abstergo Entertainment again. The next teams will do something new.)
    Add AC Initiates to the formula, and you have something that is greater than the sum of its parts: a persistent, ongoing present day that never sleeps... and games that more fully focus on whatever historical period we happen to choose.

5) Is Corey May still apart of the team? Did you totally take over for him?

Corey is still involved in AC, yes yes. When he's not writing, he's reading our scripts... though he is very kind and doesn't yell at us much..

6) When writing the modern day portion of AC4, was it easy writing around an unnamed player? Also, did you have any speech options for the player during the beginning of development? Or were they always mute? Thanks!

It wasn't difficult, no. Not in English anyway, which has no gendered syntax... I don't know if the translators in other languages had problems though. Probably... that's what I love about my job: causing problems other people have to fix.
    There was never any plan to have your character talk, simply because we wanted that player to be YOU. We wouldn't presume to put words in your mouth. Not our style.

7) So my question is HOW CAN YOU MAKE SUCH AWESOME HISTORIES, HOW?!?!?!?

This is such a nice question that I am going to use it as a shameless opportunity to give shout outs to everything that inspired me to be a writer.
    Books: Everything by James Joyce, most books by Raymond Chandler, everything by Samuel Beckett, Wm. Faulkner, Grace Paley, Donald Barthelme, John Synge.
    Games: The Last Express, The Secret of Monkey Island, Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls, Creatures 3, Below the Root, Manhunter: San Francisco.
    Film and TV: Anything by Orson Welles, Jan Svankmaijer, Lynne Ramsay, Mike Leigh, Stanley Kubrick, Hayao Miyazaki, Lars Von Trier, Deadwood, The Wire.
    Music: Brian Eno, Talk Talk and Mark Hollis, J Dilla, Velvet Underground, Kate Bush, Goldfrapp.
    Consume all of this and you will have some insight into my thought process. Individual results may vary.

8) Y NOT PUT THE HOOKBLADE IN THE GAME?

We thought about it, but then we were all like "Nah".
    Pirates didn't have hooks anyway. That's a fiction from Peter Pan.

9)How much inspiration did you draw from TLA (if any) or any of the other temples for The Observatory?

The core art style for both of these places actually derives from the overall look and feel of the First Civilization, so both were inspired by earlier games... like AC2 and ACB.

10) I saw your message on reddit (or from Ashraf Ismail), you said that we'll not play Connor in the next Assassin's Creed. But why? (The Kenway stories is finished?)

Because Corey said all he wanted to say about Connor. And there aren't any historical events surrounding Connor that we feel the need to explore with him. Yes there are major events in OTHER parts of the world, but Corey and the various other AC teams here at Ubi don't feel Connor would be a good fit in those contexts.
    Remember, we build games around important time periods and locations, not characters... we almost always design the character AFTER doing extensive research of the location and era. Even Edward was merely a name with a few bits of backstory before we decided to make him a pirate.
    Of course there are many other ways to continue Connors story, and I would be surprised if we didn't hear more about him in some way.

11) I'm desapointed by Desmond's death but to play ourself in-game is cool. But hack PC and collect "code-paper" is not very interesting to continue to follow the war between Assassin and Templar. I hope it will more interesting in AC5.

Oh well! I liked it

12)Technical question about the future. AC series will be available one day on SteamOS and Linux ?? Please :') Leave AnvilNext from Directx to OpenGL guys. Linux is the future of gaming^^

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously. All this techie talk is is confusing me. What? I'm just a writer. My head hurts.

13)I'M WONDERING HOW YOU COME UP WITH THE STORIES.

Research, dreaming, beating my head against a wall, throwing out 90 percent of my first ideas, crying, coffee, long walks alone in the darkness.

14) Why does it feel like the series is moving away from the Assassins and more towards the Templars. To me Edward seems more pirate then assassin even his fighting style is more brawl then skill. Don't get me wrong I love the game especially the side activities, but I miss the challenges of AC's assassinations. You gave us so many interesting ways to sneak/blend around, but took away the need to use them.

I don't think the AC series is moving away from the Assassins and towards the Templars. With AC4 we just showed the Creed from a different angle. Rather than depict characters standing around waxing philosophical, we wanted to actually SHOW a man go through a struggle to reconcile his selfish impulses with his innate goodness. I think a lot of fans are used to our characters standing around having long conversations about the more philosophical aspects of the Creed... I did that in ACR, for instance.
    But we wanted to show a different side of the Creed in AC4. And with Eds story, I want to show his progress through action, not just dialog. I wanted Edward to experience loss, pain, regret, and the loss of family... not talk about it. And this means that Edward has to be a pirate first and foremost... he has to fight and act like one... so his eventual acceptance of the order has actual meaning and weight.

15) My question to you is how do you come up with names for the Assassin's Creed franchise? There are more straightforward obvious names like George Washington in AC3 and Leonardo Da Vinci in AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations, but what about the more exotic ones?

Research research research. We always try to pick names that are historically and culturally appropriate for the people we are depicting.

16) WAS IT DONE ON PURPOSE NOT TO SHOW THE REFLECTION OF YOU IN THE MIRRORS AT ABSTERGO?

Because we don't know what you look like. Also, because you are a vampire.

17) AT THE END WE SEE JENIFFERS HARD ATTITUDE AND AS SHE HOLDS THE BLOODLINE, HER CHILD WOULD TOO. SO COULD THEY BE BOTH CONNECTED. THIS GOT ME REALLY THINKING THAT YOU COULD BE THE PRESENT DAY FAMILY BLOODLINE.

Hmmmm. Theories.

18) WHAT PART OF BLACK FLAG ARE YOU NOT TOTALLY HAPPY WITH, AND WOULD YOU HAVE DONE THINGS DIFFERENTLY?

SPOILERS! Two bigger parts of the story were planned back in the summer of 2012, but when we looked at our schedule we had to cut them: Between Sequence 10 and 11, Edward was going to return to Nassau, looking for Mary Read to help him track down Roberts. This would allow us to include the famous historical moment of Anne and Mary fighting off the British until they are captured. And THIS is how Edward was going to get tossed in prison. Sadly, the designers thought this we had spent too much time in Nassau already, so we trimmed this. I actually think they were correct from a gameplay POV, but it's unfortunate from a story perspective. (Keep in mind, these missions were never made. We only had them on paper.)
    The other part we trimmed was the final sequence. We wanted the final Assassinations of the templars to feel more like AC1, so we were going to have investigation missions that preceded each assassInation. But again we cut these because our schedule was a bit tight.

I regret the loss of these the most because they would have added just the right amount of character development for almost everyone. Jack is definitely underused now... we don't even go on any missions with him. And I hate that we don't see the moment Anne and Mary fight together. This was always one of my top 5 moments in the Golden Age of Piracy. I'm thankful I got to have a little tease of this in the Observatory... but its not enough for me.

19) HOW OBVIOUS DO YOU FEEL IT IS THAT EDWARD ENGAGED IN ADULTERY IN THE FINAL GAME COMPARED TO YOUR COMMENTS WHILE PROMOTING THE GAME? I CAME AWAY THINKING HE WAS FAITHFUL TO CAROLINE. I REALIZED ONLY RECENTLY THAT YOU CAN INTERACT WITH THE DANCER IN EDWARD'S BEDROOM BUT IS THAT CANONICAL?

He was probably unfaithful at some point... he was no angel, and she was separated from her for 8 years. Theres no merit in pretending sailors in the 18th century were angels.
    That being said, I have no idea who made the interactive ladies in the Hideout. I wasn't even aware that they were there. So lets say its not cannonical.

20) IS IT TRICKY EXPLAINING EVENTS IN THE DATABASE WHILE RECOGNIZING SOME GAMERS DON'T OPEN THE ENTRIES AS THEY PLAY? (I FOUND IT HARDER TO THAT MYSELF THIS TIME.) I THINK STEDE'S THANK YOU TO EDWARD WAS AN INTERESTING WORKAROUND HAVING EDWARD PRESENT DURING HIS DEATH BUT ANY OTHER EXAMPLE?

Good eye. It would be terribly cheesy if Edward were present for the death of every single character. So I wrote that heartfelt goodbye for Stede to take the place of a death scene. I think it FEELS like a last goodbye, even if we don't say it. Poor Stede.
    I had planned on having a better goodbye for Jack (see answer above), but sadly there wasn't time.

21) Why is there such a drop in the Modern Story line? It is what got me into the whole series, and I have completed every game, yet it was the driving modern fight that kept me buying the games. Will the next AC game have more present-day story? I would be pleased if the last game of the series was dedicated to present-day fighting that could lead to an end in which you could choose the destiny/fate of the world. Why do the creators of the game not see the background storyline (modern 2013 stuff) is what made so many fans of the series?

Simply put, with multiple games in production at the same time, it just got too difficult to maintain the proper pace and coherence in the present day story to do it justice. This is easier to do with TV shows, where telling a story is the main objective. But with games, the gameplay is the most important element. And when different teams are busy prototyping new gameplay and new settings, its incredibly difficult to make sure everyone is on the same page with the grand metastory.
    We have now switched to a production philiosphy that gives each AC team the maximum amount of ownership over their game as possible so they can do the best job possible. And one way to do this is to ease up on the episodic present day narrative, so that it is not an ongoing story with one cliffhanger after another... this ultimately frustrates a large part of our audience.
    In the future we want each present day segment to be unique, fresh, and surprising, while still being part of the overall meta-universe. So we probably won't ever get back to another Desmond type character. Desmond never really got the attention he deserved... but not because we didn't like him. It was all due to the realities of production... making a past AND a present in many ways is like making two games in one. Very resource intensive and time consuming.
    Also, the AC present day is now concurrent with OUR present day. So there is no end of the world coming. We want the real world to feel like it is part of an ongoing conflict between assassins and templars, so don't expect a conclusion to the whole series any time soon. Certain plotlines will resolve, but the universe will always be alive and evolving... especially here on initiates.

22)My question is: What is the biggest, most important message you are trying to send through the AC franchise? I have interpreted many messages for myself and am curious to see what point you are trying to get across.

I'm not particularly interested in concrete messages in art and literature and so forth. I'm more intersted in life in general. I'm interested in people, their relationships, their successes and failures, etc. Any time I catch a whiff of a moral or a message in a story, I turn it off, because someone's trying to sell me something. Depictions of reality are far more interesting than a lesson on ethics. Life is messy, love is messy, death is messy, politics are messy, and any story that tries to simplify the mad chaos of living is lying to you.
    Of course AC has THEMES, but that is not the same as a message, I think. We like to play with ideas of freedom and liberty, order and chaos, friendship and betrayal... but ultimately we want you do decide what you think of these things. For instance, I feel the Templars are absolutely correct about Edward for most of AC4. And I'd go a step further to say that the TRUE villian in AC4 is Edward himself. He is a criminal. He's a parasite. He attacks innocent peple simply for personal gain. And the story of AC4 is the story of him realizing that his actions have major consequences. But what that means is up for you to decide.

23) I just want to say that this game is amazing. i've played all through the main story and side quests and theyre just beautiful... i wanted to ask about the dlc available for the game. if you could answer can you please tell us about the illustrious pirates pack you have mentioned in the trailers and what sort of things you get included with it?

Sorry. I don't know much about the various DLCs... maybe send a question to one of the ComDev guys?

24) What are the challenges of coming up with a new protagonist each time? Aside from the ending, there is very little that connects Edward to his son and grandson. Given some of the clues we get in Black Flag, will we see Assassin's from outside of Desmond's bloodline? Will they still be connected in an overarching story, or are we going to be looking at a bunch of stand alone games going forward?

I didn't find it too difficult... so long as we have the time to plan and the resources to act, its damn fun making up new characters.
    We will most definitely see characters out of Edward's bloodline. We already have, in fact. Aveline and Adewale... expect more of this sort of thing in the future. And yes, all of these stories will be connected to the ongoing present day universe.
    Edward's connection to Haytham and Connor are as much thematic as they are genetic. If you break Edward's story down, he actually goes through much of the same disappointments that Connor does, though Edward himself is the catalyst for these disappointments...

25) Apart from (at one point) housing many blood vials, is the Observatory just a theatre for the crystal skull projections?

Yes. It was a surveillance center for the First Civ to keep track of people -- First Civs and Humans alike. There were probably more than one, although they wouldn't be of much interest to modern Templars since we have very similar technology now. But modern Templars WOULD be interested in all those blood samples... if they could find them...
    Geändert von Saith*Masu* (06.02.2014 um 11:09 Uhr)

Standard

26) Will the Koh-i-Noor (which AC:Brahman implies can unite all pieces of Eden) be playing a significant role in the future of the AC story?

Perhaps.

27) How do Initiates figure into the AC story? Are they a seperate faction from Assassins and Templars?

The Initiates are watchers... somewhat Neutral observers trying to make sense of all this madness.

28) Of all the trans-media Assassins yet to have their own game (e.g. Orelov, Accipiter, El Cakr) which one would you like to write about the most?

Shao Jun, because I created her.

29) Did Edward end up taking care of Woodes Rogers in Britain?

No, if you read the book AC Black Flag, you'll learn that Rogers is kicked out of the Templars for continuing to trade slaves. He eventually returns to Nassau in 1929 and dies there a few years later... not sure how though...

30) Why was Tessa Kenway not shown at the end of Black Flag?

Probably so we didn't introduce a character who had no precedent. We were already throwing Jenny and Haytham at the player. But maybe we should have, just for completionists.

31) The Manifesto of the Instruments of the First Will mentioned 'True Templars' how, if at all, do these differ from the Templars we are familiar with?

He's a bit of a lunatic, and he's simply saying that if you want TRUE Order, like the Templars do, you'd submit to Juno and let her be in charge. He's a religious fanatic, basically. And Juno is his god.

32) Why was John/Aita helping the Assassins?

He wasn't helping them, so much as using them. He gets rid of Olivier while manipulating the player to do his bidding. The assassins provide him with a means of doing both. Of course the Assassins were using him too... to get information about Abstergo which will pay off in future installments.

33) Thank you for a great game, the script for BF was very engaging and well acted. I especially liked the complexities that arose from Subject 1 reliving Aveline's memories.

You're welcome!

34) My question is, will we have more story related AC IV DLC in the near future? Will AC: Brahman embed itself within the main story? i.e, is it canon?

Sorry, can't talk about anything apart from that which has already been announced.
    But yes, AC: Brahman is absolutely canon!

35) I really want to know what happened to connor after AC3 (and please, don't give me a answer like "it's in tumblr now, please , and if you were the lead writer of that game, you would change something in the final product?

The Aveline content in AC4 gives hints about what Connor is up to, post AC3... he's busy at the Homestead, building a community and rebuilding the Assassin order in the Colonies. I do hope we can fill in his story a little more somehow.
    As for changing AC3... I wouldn't. Corey's story is great. I'd just try to make sure the content that was cut was left in.

36) I wanted to ask you, in AC4BF why did you want to flesh out the story of the Kenways?

We liked the idea of showing how different members of one family adopted or shunned the Creed. Edward, after many struggles, comes to see it as a corrective to his selfishness; Haytham sees it as irrelevant; and Connor holds on to it with the hope that it will lead to better things, and is ultimately disappointed. This is how all philosophies and religions work... there is no one way to interpret them, and there is no single reward for following them.

37) Will we star as a main character again? That is one of the things I liked in ACIV.

That's a very likely possibility. But not in the same setting.
    PS: I see what you did there, genna tolls... :/

38) Could you shed some light to the theories that surround the ending where Ezio is visited by a strange man the a scar and later passes away in front of his family.

I wrote that story to be deliberately ambiguous, so....

39)Did Ezio get poisoned by this man? Was he a templar?

Maybe. Maybe.

40) Or a fellow assassin from the Brotherhood simply sent to "friendly retire" Ezio?

Maybe.

41) Or did Ezio simply die of the sickness of lung disease from the burning of Cappadocia in Revelations?

Maybe.

42) What was your approach and explanation on writing in the "Scarred Man" and the ending?

What you see is what you get. The important thing about that scene is that Ezio died with dignity, having accomplished almost everything he wanted in life. Precicely HOW he died is not important. And leaving it open to interpretation provides a way for fans to speculate and dream... games are particularly notorious for hitting people over the head with their themes and morals... I loathe that. I want dreaming and ambiguity to be a priority.

43) Thank you for this wonderful closure to Ezio. I and I'm pretty sure the rest of INITIATES would really love to see more CG productions from you and UBISOFT in the future. Perhaps stories of closure for Altair or even Connor. If budget permits it. But" Everything is Permitted" here right? Thanks for your time with us.

Thanks!

I miss only one thing: the crouched sneaking after coming out of the foliage. It was in the game in the gameplay demo on E3.

We miss it too... BUT making a crouch mechanic is not as easy as adding a button and a few animations. It has to be a full system with clear and understandable feedback. And we learned that when we put the crouch in for a few months that it was actually leading to more frustration than fun due to the way our AI detection works -- it draws a line from the guards head to Edward's head. If there is nothing blocking this line, then the guard can see Edward. So often times players would be crouched behind a wall, with just a bit of Eds head sticking up over the rim... and a guard would see them. This made the player angry, because they FELT they should be hidden. This would have required us to redesign the heights of everything in the game.... which would have been a massive undertaking... something we would have to have planned from the start.

44) Have you ever considered making the swordfight more realistic? For me it was a little bit strange, that I cut an enemy 6-7 times then he fights as if he just getting started?

Everyone has tweaks they would love to see for the combat system. The best I can say is this: it will continue to evolve.

45)I wanted to know is there will be more content about the real world in future ac's. I liked those ships, pirates and rest of the stuff but i'm a little bit disappointed with the game. I tought that there will be another stunning ending like in older series... and it wasn't Please consider of making more conspiracy in the story.

SPOILERS: You may be shocked to discover I don't quite agree. I think the revelation that John in the present is the same person that Edward interacted with in the past (Bart Roberts) is pretty damn weird. Perhaps the presentation was subtler. But there's a lot of strange stuff going on if you hack for it.

46) One thing I'm wondering is why if the Assassin vs. Templar plot in the Kenway storyline concluded in ACIII, Why make a prequel instead of moving to the next big historical event? Prequels are usually disappointing in terms of plot twists or interesting plot developments because we already know what happens to the characters or at least some of what happens afterwards. And even then, why make a full blown game of what seems to be more of a side story than anything else, just like Revelations? I think Altair's journey in Cyprus (Bloodlines) seemed more of a sequel worthy story had it not been for the PSP's limited capabilities.

Perhaps because you and I don't enjoy stories for the same reasons? For me, stories are important because they show us a journey, not a destination. Everyone who watches the plays Hamlet or Romeo and Juliet knows how they end -- everyone dies. But the plot is just the frame to hang the story on, and its in the story that we experience all the wonderful details of these characters lives.
    So for me Revelations was a story about a man losing his will to continue with the assassins. But the plot was just about getting into Altair's library.
    AC4 is about a man whose selfishness leads to the destruction of everything he holds dear. But the plot is about finding the Observatory.
    So yes, if you are playing these games solely for their ongoing plot development, I can see how you might be disappointed. But that's not why I write them... We had a story to tell about Edward, and we did it.

47) Something that is inside my mind since AC2 is the Truth with Adam and Eve, since Clay was capable of getting memories from them. Should I keep hoping that someday we'll have access to such memories in gameplay, even though we already know the most important things about the First Civilization?

That is something we have considered for a while now.... Going back in time 80,000 years would be amazing. We could even highlight some famous Neaderthals. But we'd have to do it just right, or it might come off as very silly because this is getting into uncharted Science-Fantasy territory. But who knows....???

48) Hello, "Christopher Darby." AC4's been a really fun game, and I've particularly enjoyed the modern-day bits of lore. It's what I look forward to in each Assassin's Creed. Has it been hard to write for, now that Desmond's out of the picture?

It's actually much easier now that I can focus on self-contained narratives. With Desmond's story, it was always hard to figure out how much of the story to tell, because al though we generally knew its beginning and end, we didn't know how many pieces it would be broken into. (We even wanted to get him into some of the hand-held game too, but that proved to be a logistical nightmare.)
    I really loved writing all the present day hidden content though. Its very freeing to just build a universe like that.

49) Question about the Pieces of Eden: Can we hink about the PoE's as suspended in an eternal present, that incorporate pieces of information and continually bestow them independently from the time in which they are observed? Can we apply the theory of relativity to the PoE's instead of the light? Here is my idea in its entirety.

Hah. Nice theory. But no. They are real and physical objects. Advanced science. Nothing more.

50) Question about Desmond and Animus Omega: What we see at the end of the credits in ACIII is the scan of the recent memories of Desmond that included his story from his escape to his death? I'm referring to the Uroborus factor.

Another nice theory. We'll see if it plays out...

51) My questions are, Does the time period a game is set in (especially when tackling an AC project) influence how you write a story, or how you write a character? Was it a conscious decision to take a more poetic direction for Ezio's letters to Claudia?

I think AC4 is MORE poetic actually, in terms of quality of writing ... I took great care to make sure every line had a wonderful rhythm and cadence....
    "Gentlemen, as is custom among our kind, we do not plunge headlong into folly on the orders of a single madman, but act according to our own collective madness!"
    That's far more poetic to my ears than Ezio's speech. It is just a better constructed sentence. I think what you're talking about is "sentiment". ACR definitely has a lot of sentimental lines.... but in my opinion, AC4 has better writing.

52) do you agreed with the end Desmond got in the AC3? because in the ACR ending it feels like we where gonna get a way more awesome end than simple touch and orb. or you have another idea of how to end the desmond journey?

I would have executed the scenes a bit differently, but I think it was a fine way to end his story in terms of what happened. Sorry... can't say more.

53) What was the reasoning behind the introduction of the element of the Sages in AC4? When were they planned for the overall plot?

There were a couple reasons. We wanted to have a human character "on Juno's side", both in the present and in the past. So I came up with the idea of the Sage after talking with Corey about Juno's husband and how he died (depicted in AC3).

54) When did you choose "The Parting Glass" as the conclusive song for Edward's life in the Caribbean? Does it have a meaning for you too, being it a traditional Irish and Scottish song? That's really a nice pick, I have to say.

I have loved this song for almost 20 years, and heard people sing it many times when I lived in Dublin back in 2002-2003. In some ways, I wrote Edward's story based on the lyrics of the song... they just seemed appropriate to the setting and the theme.

55) The bottled messages are really important for the in-depth understanding of the AC4 plot. Were they planned since the beginning or were they added during the development of the title?

I had always planned on writing a story of some kind for the bottles, but the actual content came quite late. I think I wrote that story in June of this year, when I was in London for voice recording sessions. I remembered I had written a Du Casse line where he says "It has been almost 45 years since the last sage" or whatever... and suddenly it occured to me that I should write his story. Poor Thom Kavanaugh!

56) Darby! Question: Would you be up for writing an AC set in Scotland? Perhaps during the Scottish Wars for independence? I know it's only hypothetical, but curious of your feelings on that.

I would love that, if such a game were pitched to me! But if it came down to choosing between that and the war for Irish Independence, I'd choose the latter. I have so many connections to, and so much knowledge about Irish history that it would be foolish to not use it.

57) Ashraf Ishmail said: "We wanted to do a pirate game; like really do a pirate game.", big mistake I think, you should have said: "We wanted to do an Assassin's Creed game" because this game is too main stream, there are no Assassins, no Templars, no main story (where were the writers while writing the script?) but only pirates, ships, rum, fishes, collectables and etc. etc, basically an empty box.

Sorry mate, but I disagree. We wanted to take a look at the Creed from the outside, and in my opinion we succeeded. We were tired of telling stories about people who join the Assassins without question. It was time for a change, an outside perspective. And what better way than to make a story about how fun but reckless it is to be a pirate, and how that clashes with personal responsibility and liberty. In my opinion this game actually shows by EXAMPLE why the Creed is a good thing.
    In other words, we made exactly the game we wanted to... a story about a pirate and his long hard struggle with his impulses. And in this sense, the gameplay matches the story perfectly.

58) My question is: Why did you cut climbing rocks like in AC 3? I mean, seriously, it was an awesome feature and I'm whondering why we aren't able to do so in AC 4. Thanks for reading.

A great question. This was one of the first decisions we made, and the answer is simple. We knew we would have to use rock faces and cliffs to block the player from going places we didn't want them to go. So we decided that Edward could only climb trees and man-made objects. But not cliffs. This way we can block off all the parts of the world Edward shouldn't go with cliffs, and put stone walls everywhere we want him to climb.

59)Here are some clues in AC4BF for the future settings of future AC, are these real or is it just there to mock us?

Maaaaaaaaaybe. We DO like trolling. But we wouldn't just out and out lie, would we?

60) Will there gonna be more ties between AC and Watch_Dogs, especially in WD?

Yeah, but its all in good fun. They are NOT meant to be taken too seriously.

61) Will you be the lead writer for the next AC?

No.

62) What first got you into writing? What sort of steps or choices did you make to get into the video game industry, and is this your favourite medium to work in?

Oooh a personal question! I'm not sure when I first started writing, but it was quite early. Around 8 or 9 years old. I designed my first game on paper when I was about 14 -- called "Time Quest", I pitched it to Sierra Online and got a rather nice reply... but they passed on it. When I was 23 I applied for my first job in the game industry and got it, a ComDev type job at Humongous Entertainment.
    As far as what medium I like best... I have no preference. I like writing stories. I love games. I love making films. I like writing and recording music. If I can bounce between these for the rest of my life, I'd be happy.

63) For the AC franchise, what's your favourite part of the writing process? For example, doing all of the research, forming a plot from real-life events and people, etc.

I love almost every part of the process -- research, design, writing, editing, casting and rehearals. The only part I don't like is the inevitable cutting and proofreading. But both are necessary.

65) What advice or recommendations do you have for someone who wants to get into scriptwriting for the video games industry? I'm currently in university with a major in history and a minor in english, and will be receiving my bachelor of education next year: will these subjects help me at all? I really want to get into scriptwriting but I have no formal education in it, I only do creative writing as a hobby.

Publish as much as you can, as early as you can -- short stories, blogs, etc. Get into the game industry as soon as you can and prove to your colleagues that you can write. Make your own little games using GameMaker or Unity and prove that you know how to tell a story without it getting in the way of fun gameplay. Hope this helps! To be honest, I have no idea how I got in... I snuck in through an open basement window 14 years ago, and have been waiting for the elevator ever since.

66) Have you noticed the lack of fowl and an alrming overall mass growth rate developing in the reptilian population on Great Inagua?

Artificial selection at work. Pirates love poultry.

67) Why not a boat bassed multiplay?

YEAH MAN. I wish.

68) Will we ever be able to do more in the modern day like the ACIII Desmond missions, or are we going to be doing the walking around in Abstergo in 1st person again?

No more third person characters like Desmond for the forseeable future. But each game will have a unique approach to the present day. So no more Abstergo Entertainment either.

69) First of all who was the man with the scar that talked to Ezio last and did he kill him?

I wrote this to be deliberately ambiguous, so my lips are sealed.

70) Secondly will we ever get to explore the story of Shao Jun?

I hope so! I love the character.

71) Deciding to go back to the past and not forward was a great idea but although Edward is a fun character to play with it does not truly feel like and AC game.
    Was it intentional that Edward had more of a pirate feel and and not the usual AC feel?

Very intentional. We already told 3 stories about characters who join the assassins without incident. We wanted to tell a story about someone who doesn't care about the Creed. This way we can show why the Creed is actually important.

72) In modern day will we ever see our character or will he be just a floating camera?

Every present day story will be slightly different from now on. So it MAY be first person, it may be something else. But we probably won't introduce another Desmond-type character.

73) Why was the steal and combate taken out in modern day Absertgo?

It just didn't make sense in the setting. We actually thought about doing some stealth sections, but couldn't get it to work right.

74) How did Shawn and Rebecca infiltrate Abstergo? (since when hacking a computer terminal you find a file that contains pictures from Desmond's phone and they can both be clearly seen)

First, Abstergo Entertainment is just an ordinary company. So there aren't many, or any, Templars tehre. Also, they haven't really infiltrated Abstergo... they never get as far as the lobby. That's why they need you. Rebecca just poses as a courrier and Shaun is just working for a coffee contractor undercover.

75) Was AC IV a test for Ubisoft to see how players reacted to the new and improved naval warefare? And will this lead to a new series for Ubisoft that will be based around naval warefare?

Nope. ACIV was built because we wanted to make an AC game set in the Golden Age of Piracy, and because we had fantastic naval tech from AC3.

Standard

76) Will we ever get to experience Haytham's story and struggle to find meaning in his life?

There is a book called Assassin's Creed : Forsaken... did you see it?

77) If you won't create another story for Connor will we be able to see Connor as a master assassin and mentor to us in a future game?

I would love to see Connor somehow, somewhere. But he won't get another full game. AC3 and AC4 were designed to be about the Kenways as a family.

78) Will the Kenway story continue or does it all end with Edward? (cos it would be awesome to see Edward through the eyes of Haytham and Connor through the eyes of his son or daughter like with AC II were we relive a memory of Altair and and then Desmond didn't leave with Altair but remained with Maria and their unborn son)

We shall see. I think we've said most of what we want to say about the Kenways. But if they prove wildly popular, that can possibly inspire spin-offs. There's never a guarantee though.

79) What's with people thinking Ezio was poisoned?

Because that is a very real possibility....

80) Was it always the plan for Black Flag to view the Assassin/Templar conflict from the point of view of an outsider? (Is the decline of the Colonial Assassins in III due to the actions of Kenway as Duncan Walpole in Black Flag?)

Yes, absolutely. And here's why. Assassins would never be pirates, since pirates hurt too many people and ruin innocent lives. This is against the Creed. So we knew if we made a pirate themed AC game, our main character could not be a full Assassin. So we designed a character who could fit better with the mechanics we were making. END SPOILER. This is also why we have Edward join the assassins at the very very end of the game... if he joined the Assassins any earlier, we would have to remove all the pirate mechanics to be consistent with the story. But that would be no fun for players. Imagine sequences 11 and 12 and 13 without being allowed to board ships and plunder.

81) As Black Flag is a prequel, how limiting was it to write for a character for whom details were already established in III and Forsaken (Haytham has to be born etc.)?

It was a bit of a bump, actually. I found myself wishing we had not established anyline about his marriages... because I wanted to change how he met his first and second wives.

82) What factors go into deciding how much of the modern day storyline gets told in a game?

This is a very complicated process. Many fans love the modern day setting, but the mainstream press isn't usually so kind. A huge majority of the mainstream and casual fans think we should drop it. Well... we like it because it ties all the games together, but we also realize that we need to make it appealing and accessible so that fans who don't play every single game don't feel alienated and left out of the ongoing story. This is why we want to make each present day story from now on a little more "self contained". So the mandate is usually, "short but sweet."

83) How far did Lost Legacy and Revelations get before one of them had to give?

Lost Legacy was only in development for about 5 months before it was cancelled. I still have the entire script on my hard drive... and it has almost nothing to do with Revelations, except that it was set in Constantinople and in had a very similar last scene. But almost all the major characters were different, except Suleiman. Lost Legacy had no Ahmet, no Yusuf, no Sofia, no Manuel, no Shahkulu, etc. Revelations was started about 5 months AFTER Lost Legacy, so there was no overlap.

84) My question is: are there any other source books you can recommend which might flesh out the stories of Edward Kenway's friends and rivals in AC4? (Apart from Oliver Bowden's books, of course!)

First, thanks for the kind words! We DID manage to squeeze in a lot of details yes. If you can find it, try reading Bart Roberts' original "Thin commons" speech -- the one he gives at the end of Sequence 9 in our game. Even though the original is in English, I found his language so impenitrable that I rewrote it for a modern audience.
    Books I would recommend:
    The Republic of Pirates, by Colin Woodard
    Under the Black Flag, by David Cordingly
    Pirate Hunter of the Carribean, by David Cordingly
    Anything by Angus Konstam

85) will Desmond return in the next AC's ? So I don't mean alive ^^

Probably not, but we DID set up our universe in such a way that he COULD return if it made sense. But don't bet too many chips on that for now...

86) What made you decide to leave the assassin and templars a minority in Edward's story until 75% through? Did any of the developers disagree with this direction, and if so how did you get them to agree to go with it?

Well, I'd disagree with your percentage... Sequences 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, 12, and 13 are all about the Assassins and Templars, either directly or indirectly... and all the Templar hunts are AvT related. And yes we had many discussions about how much or how little to focus on the Assassins and Templars. But in the end most people were comfortable with the direction because we wanted to tell the story about how a lawless but modestly democratic group of pirates banded together, and ultimately self destructed. This game is about various types of "Freedom" -- Pirates, Assassins and Templars all have their own ideas about what that word means. And Edward, though he begins as a pirate, ultimately finds that he aggrees more with the Assassin's version of it. It just takes him a long time to see that.

87) I was wondering who yourfavorite character is in the Assassins Creed world?

Good question. In no particular order... and not counting the main characters.
    Malik, Leonardo, Caterina, Sofia, Yusuf, Suleiman, Hickey, Haytham, Achilles, Stede Bonnet, Blackbeard, Mary Read, Anne Bonny, Charles Vane.

88) Does a Sage remember only Aita's memory? Or can they also remember the memory of the other Sages (unlikely).

The first one. He only has the memories of the original Aita. Nothing else. Each sage is like a carbon copy of Aita's memories mixed with a new human.

89) The woman on Roberts/John's Necklace is probably Juno, right? And is the same woman represented Royal Fortune's figurehead?

I THINK that's what the artist was going for, but I can't be sure. The resolution is too small on the necklace.

90) Throughout my playthrough of ac4 i have noticed that kenways greed usually overcomes his reality for doing some good in his world why is that ?

Because he's a selfish dude. And because that's how people play open-world games... they steal every treasure, open every chest, plunder, pillage and loot... so we made a character that matches the way you play the game. And of course the point of the story is that all this greed comes at a price...

91) What did John from IT inject us with in the bunker, and why? He had a gun, so if he wanted us dead, he could have shot us. heck, we were passed out, he could have simply throttled us. What was the 'poison'??

In my mind he wanted to render you unconcious and sneak you out of Abstergo. Maybe for further experiments. Or something wickedly devious...

92) Edward Kenway was not an assassin in the first place, how did he acquire the knowledge of hidden blades? ... his hidden blades were given to him by a templar but, Edward Kenway never learnt how-to use the hidden blades during the storyline.

The Templars "trained" him by asking him to perform various moves. They describe a move, and he performs it. Plus, the hidden blades aren't THAT complicated. I've seen dozens of dudes on Youtube build and use their own.

93) Edward Kenway eventually agreed to join, or at least to help, the assassins. What event then caused his son, Haytham Kenway, to join the templars?

That is all described in the book AC : Forsaken. Or you could read about it on the AC fan wiki. But just a forewarning. It's sad....

94) Haytham Kenway's combat skills were trained by the templars or by his father, Edward? Shall Haytham Kenway be trained by his father, why then, Haytham did not seem to possess the skill of double sword fighting when chances given? ... odd to note, Conner Kenway, Haytham's son, did possess the skill to fight with double swords as chances given - counterkills.

See above answer. All will be clear then.

95) Assassin's Creed: Brahman comic book presetned a beautifully written story with interesting and believable characters along with a very nice ratio of present vs. historical periods. Can we expect a game with similar features to happen? It would make a great substitute for Desmond's portion and just as entertaining if not more especially with the cyborg-looking Assassin in pressent day.

Probably not. The reason is, it is 100x harder to do this in games, because it means splitting resources. It is already an incredible chore to make all the art assets, AI dialog, character models, building models, skyboxes, weather effects, etc for one "world". If we did it for two settings, past and present, it would require a massive amount of effort. Did you know, for instance, that AC2 -- for a few short months -- was going to be a 50/50 split between past and present? But when the team looked into it, there were two problems -- 1, the present day sequences were just not as popular as the past in AC1, and 2, it would have been a MONUMENTAL undertaking to make both worlds feel complete and real. So the Rennaissance was quickly embraced and made to be 95 percent of the game.
    It would be a much easier prospect to do a 100 percent modern game, but then again... the majority of people who buy our games like the historical tourism. The hardcore fans like the modern stuff quite a bit more, but they are a passionate minority compared to the mainstream.

96) Has the storytelling and conspiracies been given less priority lately than in the past games? Many of us got that impression and it was diffeernt before as with the Ezio trilogy, it felt like there's so much work put into one character that he deserved three games because his story had a lot to tell and one would never be enough and he's still the majority's favorite to date. Same goes for Desmond's saga. But now the games are taking more of a "video game within a video game" approach like we're playing a product of Abstergo Entertainment like Liberation and ACIV or that this is all just a game not a reality like with ACI to ACIII. Not to mention introducing new assassins in every new game or majorly reducing and almost omitting the modern day segment which many of us found it the reason to play the games for.

I just think we're being more careful about how much we say in every game, because we realize this series could go on for a long time, and we don't want one game to dictate what other games do down the line. But for instance, if you listen to the Subject Zero audio drama in AC4, it talks all about Hitler trying to get his hands on an apple of Eden, which was hinted at in AC2... so rather than constantly introduce new conspiracies without answering any of them, I wanted AC4 to expand on things we have only hinted at.

97) What inspired you to write a story for Adewale of Freedom Cry instead of a Haytham Kenway DLC for example? In other words, what made you feel that he deserves a story of his own of all other pirates or characters of ACIV or the Kenway family members that we want to know more about?

We all pitched ideas for various DLCs and the Ade story idea won out. I pitched the idea of showing why Ade left Edward behind with Bart Roberts in sequence 10 (the crew felt Edward was being reckless, and like all pirate crews, they voted to leave...) but others wanted to show Ade after he becomes an assassin. There were many ideas floating around. I don't think a Haytham one every surfaced though. We wanted to keep it in the West Indies.

98) In ACIII, it felt like the game is trying not to take sides with Templars or Assassins and even almost if not completely convincing us that the Templars do have a point and they're not just plain bad people. However, in ACIV, the idea seemed to return back to the Cesare Borgia kinda villains, where you just know Templars = Bad People without any type of second opinions.

The Templars only kidnap a single person in AC4 in pursuit of a device that will ensure a more just world, while Assassins murder people without recourse to trials. I'm not sure what your definition of villain is. Maybe expand on how you think they are cartoony? Everything they say to Edward in their whiteroom sequences is absolutely spot on... Edward is a criminal and a parasite. He deserves to be locked up.

99) The First Civilization is a pivoital part of the AC story, what made you choose Aita of all other members to further expand his story? why not the Erudite God since I'm almost 100% sure that he's somehow linked to Erudito group. Just too much similarity to pass.

Because we set it up in AC3, with the experiments Juno does on Aita. And it made more sense that a woman would work with her husband in such a way. Plus the Erudite God hasn't really made a big appearance in our games.

100) Lets say this is more of an opinion or wish than a question. Can we have more Modern Day missions? It felt so interesting to play ACIII present day missions as Desmond, yet they were so short, sadly. The games always leave us thirsty to see what's going on now, not just what happened then ACIII presented it perfectly cause it was all about the consequences of our discoveries in the past and I hope future releases will feature more of that as I believe being an Assassin in present day and carrying on the job is much more interesting than hacking computers without a recognizable face or name or gender.

See earlier explanations. It's not likely to happen. We will always use the modern day as a context for the games, but the bulk of the gameplay will be in the past. Time and time again, when we do surveys, we learn that the historical parts are what most people love. The hardcore fans in the forums love the modern day stuff more... and we respect that deeply... but it wouldn't be wise to rely too heavily on them because this isn't why most people buy the games. And on a personal note, I VASTLY prefer writing the historical parts... they feel more grounded and real to me. I love doing the research and I love the challenge of bringing these characters to life.

101) What do you think is next for the modern day storyline? Will it just be more teases or will there be a bigger reveal in future games?

What do I THINK is next? I KNOW what is next. But I can't say... its a surrrrrpriiiiiise.

102) All in all, what is your favourite AC?

I like AC2 and AC4 best... though Constantiople is my favorite city.

103) I really liked Black Flag, but in my opinion it was more a pirate than an assassins game. Will we go back to the roots and will the next protagonist be a 'real' assassin?

Each AC game will tell its own story, with it's own angle. So you'll have to wait and see! But there will always be Assassins and Templars, of course.

104) Is it possible to create a story for a co-op AC singleplayer?

That would be amazing, something we are always looking into.

105) Darby McDevitt = Christopher Darby (ACIV in-game)?

Yep. Christopher is my middle name. In fact, everyone named in the modern day is a portmanteau of people I work with. "Kama Neron" is a mix of our two cinematic directors -- Kama Dunsmore and Richard Neron.

106) Are you going to come back for another AC installment?

Sure!

107) Is there a chance that one of future Assassin's Creed games will take place in Russia? I know that we have comic books and I enjoyed them a lot. But game is something different! And Saint Petersburg is an amazing city, you can come here and watch it yourself) It will be awesome to climb on some Saint Petersburg buildings. It will be as cool as Venezia.

This would be cool. I have a friend from St. Petersburg and she talks fondly of it. However, we already did Orelov's story in the comic books, so we would be unlikely to go there with a game so soon after. But maybe one day!

108) Wich place are we going to play on AC5 ?

It will be a location with many humans, and some buildings. It will be set in the past, either distant or recent. It will have some parkouring and combat and assassinations. I hope that narrows it down!

109) Why did you guys (the whole development team) put Ezio's robes from AC Brotherhood as an alternate costume in Black Flag??? We had that one already on AC3. Why not adding Ezio's grey robes from Revelations??? Why not adding Ezio's 1st assassin's clothing from AC2??? Edward would have look so much better in an alternate costume of Ezio's 1st outfit. Is the reason for not adding it to game has something to do with Patrice Désilets??? O_o

I have no idea, but I LOVE the ACR robes and the AC2 robes. I have never understood why the ACB robes appear everywhere. They look too hot for the West Indies. They're so bulky. Liberace Auditore.

110) Is there going to be another Assassins Creed? If so what will it be? The Ubisoft team probabaly has no idea yet but I was just curious.

Of course, there will be. And of course we do.

111) What did Ezio give to Shao Jun in Embers?? We will ever know??

Perhaps one day we will. But I won't spoil it before it is time.

112) There is a connection between Ac and Watch Dogs?? Some E-mails seem to say so

Not a deep connection. That's us just having fun.

113) Is Edward and Kenway family story over??

For the most part, yes. The Kenway's story has been told... but we may slip a few details and anecdotes into future games, down the line.

114) Well this is not really a question,more like a suggestion.Is there ever going to be a ac in full first person?That would be just awesome!

Probably not. We're a 3rd person action adventure. But you could try Mirrors Edge if you want some first person parkour action.

115) And how did you came up with such a mighty stories?Who started the whole idea about Assassin's and Templars?

The original AC game was going to be a Prince of Persia, set during the time of the real Assassin Templar conflict in the third crusades. At some point Patrice and Corey and others decided to make it its own game, and expand on the AvT conflict to encompass a much larger time-span.

116) How did you develop Edward so well?

Thanks for thinking so. I just try to write about real people with real problems. I think if people focus too much on the heroic qualities of characters, you miss the smaller more important details about their lives. So that's what I tried to do. Strip away the heroism, and emphasize the reality.

117) In Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, why didn't you try to make Edward more of an assassin later in the story? All he realizes later in the story is that there is more than wealth and power in the world. Not much influence with Assassin's v.s Templars in the story, mainly focused on the Sages whereabouts. There was just no point in focusing Assassins in Edwards lifestyle. You could of just made Edward try to help the Pirates become a more sucessful group or a very strong leader of them. Please we need answers!

If we made Edward MORE of an assassin, we would have to take all the pirate mechanics away from the player. So we end the story just as he decides to return to England and join them.
    We wanted AC4 to be about the Creed itself -- about Freedom and Liberty and their many different forms. We didn't want this one to be just about an Assassin killing Templars. We thought it would be a nice refreshing change for one game.

118) Hi Darby, I wonder if we're going to control a third-person hero in the present again. I think it was a little "inexpressive" when we controlled a first-person character in AC4.

Probably not. We want to focus our efforts on always making a compelling historical hero character, so that the storyline doesn't get so muddled and chaotic. So the present day will probably star "you" from now on, but in very different contexts for each game.

119) When are we going to see AC:Testaments? I'm ready to do some assassinations biblical style!

It's coming... Assassins Creed 616 : Testaments. You just have to wait a little while.

120) if it could be possible to release the PC version of the upcoming assassins creed games at the same time as the console versions? I was really frustrated when everyone played the game, while I waited for my PC Version and was extremely spoiled.

I never know why whe delay the PC version, but it probably has something to do with the various sub-teams working on the different versions. But honestly I couldn't tell ya.

121) Greetings for your competent, virtuous, excellent job on AC IV Black Flag, keep an eye that it opens the possibillity to develop a system where all AC episodes could be linked generating an online atmosphere where people can start playing from the 1st to the last episode! As long as they bought all episodes and installed all, maybe a tool to integrate all AC games in one, anyway...

We have talked about this many times here, but sadly, each version of the game is so different from the previous one that we can't always use the same game and art assets. So for example, in ACR we had to re-make a lot of Masyaf from AC1, just to fit it in the game. The basic geometry worked okay, but so many other things had to be re-made.... so it probably won't happen.

122) My question is was the end of AC3 planned all along?

From my conversations with Corey, I gather about 75 percent of the end was the same. But because it was originally going to be a trilogy, it was going to have a much more final ending. When Ubi realized the series was very popular, we rewrote some of it to make sure the story could go on....

123) What was altered from the original storyline which was planned from the very beginning, which scenes were changed or added for Brotherhood and Revelations?

Can't say for brotherhood, but for Revelations I think it's easy to see what we did... we just decided to explore Desmond's past while he was in his coma. If Revelations had never been made, we would have skipped over the coma.

124) Did Lucy say the truth when telling Desmond that Vidic saved her life? Does the conversation between subject sixteen and Desmond in Brotherhood about Eve and the key have any importance in future games?

I can't go into too much detail about these, but let's just say that the blood vials in AC4 do have a connection to the very distant past. So...

125) Why did Haytham join the templars do we know why he joined because his fathers a assassin? Also his son is a assassin

Check out the book AC:Forsaken for more info about Haytham's story. Or read the fan wiki. Or browse Initiates!

Standard

126) My question is in relation to Mary Read, I think what was done with her character was so fascinating, and I'm just curious where the idea to make her an assassin came from? What was the process from conception to completion and how many revisions did the character go through? Also, is there any more of Mary's story sitting around somewhere unused? Because I personally would be all over Mary Read DLC.

I love Mary Read's character, and I originally DID have a plan for one more sequence with her and Anne (between the current sequence 10 and 11. But it was trimmed very early in the process, much to my sadness. Her character models -- both Male and Female versions -- went through a few revisions before we got them right. We also made sure to cast a woman who could do the right voice. We didn't want to fake anything about her... like use a man to capture her body movements or her James Kidd voice. We just wanted to treat her as realistically as possible, without being campy or melodramatic.
    I decided to make her an Assassin because her story seemed perfect for it. She was a woman living and working in a world dominated by men... and due to that, it felt like she'd have a much deeper and richer perspective on so many issues than most pirates would have ignored... gender inequality, racial inequality, expecially. So out of all the pirates, I decided she alone would be an assassin.
    Sadly, we won't be getting any DLC with her... I weep at what might have been.

127) I was curious as to what your opinions on the evolution of the Assassin's Creed franchise characters, story, and overall gameplay mechanics are? I was also curious as to what are your top 3 favorite aspects of the gameplay mechanics and which of your characters is your most favorite at this point?

I love the evolution of the series... my one wish would be that each game evolve their mechanics in a way that suits the time period a little more distinctly. It would be a shame if most AC games were the same parkour-and-stab gameplay in a dozen different time periods. By embracing the idea of piracy and setting it in the AC universe, we created a unique take on the series. I would love to see every game embrace not only the stories and themes of their eras, but the mechanics too.
    Loads of favorite characters! From AC4... Stede Bonnet, Mary and Blackbeard.

128) My real question, is how long does it take for you and the other AC Devs to do all the historical research?

It took me about 5 months of straight research to be confident about writing the story. Then a few more months along the way, as I wrote, to get the details right. The writing process took about 15 months.

129) Assassin's Creed III is arguably a game about Haytham and Connor as well, as both characters get a lot of time to be fleshed out and both get their stories wrapped up. Why did you decided not to do a trilogy of these characters? Why was Haytham's story reserved for Forsaken and the beginning of AC3, and not a full game? Was his story not particularly interesting, or was his time period not interesting enough? It seems to me as if the Kenway Family was supposed to be trilogy.

This saga of 2 games just evolved naturally. Very loosely, but with a clear direction. With AC Forsaken, I think people felt Haytham didn't get enough backstory in AC3, so we made the book about him. We never had plans to do a trilogy though.

130) Many people in the Assassin's Creed Wiki have asked this question, but does Connor ever officially adopt the Kenway surname? Does he ever refer to himself officially as "Connor Kenway"?

It's not likely he would ever call himself Connor Kenway. But it's understandable why people would call him this -- its a way of demonstrating that he's part of the "Kenway line." So its just a lazy shorthand.

131) Any chance we might be getting a DLC featuring Connor or Edward? I’ve seen people asking for a Connor sequel, which is both unnecessary and not needed, considering his story is over. However, a small DLC featuring Connor wouldn’t be that hard to create or do. Is there any reason the team hasn't yet done a DLC like this? Do they simply feel that these characters don't have any more meaningful stories to be told?

Probably not... all of our teams are busy working on other things now.

132) I can't remember where this exactly was, but I believe I read a comment you made where you said that you want the modern day to become less plot-centric, and function as a context to the overall series. With Desmond's story over, why is that? Is there any reason we won't get a new modern day protagonist? And how do you see the narrative being affected? We only got a glimpse of Juno in AC4's modern day, and fans seemed eager to know more.

Yes, the modern day is going to remain somewhat simplified from now on so we can devote the right amount of energy to it.

133) When you and the other writers come up with the plot and characters for the games, do you first create the main character and then place him into a time period, or do you look at the most interesting parts of history and then create a character? Was this the process that was used to create the Kenway Family?

We definitely pick the time period first. We want to choose an era that has the greatest gameplay possibilities, and story potential... places that would be amazing to explore for a few dozen hours. The characters always come second.

134) I actually have one last question. What made you add the connection between the disguise James Kidd and the actual Captain Kidd? Was it just for the sake of making it easier for Mary to fit into the whole pirate business, or is she actually connected to the famous pirate? I liked this addition, it made me think about the hunt for Captain Kidd's treasure in AC3, which was one of the things I enjoyed most in that game.

Historically, there is evidence that Mary Read actually used her brother's name when posing as a man. But I could never find out what that name was. The idea to use James Kidd came about when I saw that AC3 had William Kidd missions... and I figured we could fool a few more people into thinking she was a boy if she was connected to a real pirate.
    In the end, its all BS. She is not related in any way to William Kidd... that's just a story she tells people.

135) Why have we no infiltrations in buildings (except prisons in AC3 and 4) ? It would be a great way to explore what a house of any time period was from inside. Plus, it would really bring something to the "assassin" feeling, I think.

You didn't go into Laurens Prins's mansion in Sequence 5? Climb through a window! But I see what you mean... it would have been nice.

136) Is the real philosophy of assassins that freedom must be for everyone, with no limit ? I think you kind of answer that with Black Flag with the Pirates/Assassins dilema, and in revelation and Embers. I would like to see it more explained (maybe in some file in the future games to not making the player "borred").

The Assassins advocate a responsible freedom... the idea of Brotherhood ... do not harm the innocent. So a bit less extreme than the Pirate philosophy which is probably something like, few rules, no regrets.

137) Why did you decide not to add a 'face' to the present day side of things? In AC:BF we are an unknown entity walking around with no story or background... why was it decided to not include a character like Desmond... someone we could attatch to and feel like a person was entering the animus. I guess I miss the attachment to Desmond etc.

With Desmond's story being over, we wanted to simplify the modern storyline so it wasn't "You playing A Guy playing A Guy". Inception! So we decided to strip away one layer and say that YOU were playing Edward Kenway.

138) Why wasn't Edward Kenway more of... an Assassin? I felt throughout the game that there was a lack of a sense of duty to the assassin's that we've always previously had. Being stuck somewhere inbetween wasn't as compelling as it should have been I think.

AC4 is the story about Edward's long, difficult journey to becoming an Assassin. This is the story we wanted to tell. And it makes more sense with the pirate gameplay. A true Assassin would never be a pirate. The philosophies clash a little too much.

139) In regard to all the effort the dev team have put into the ships/sailing simulation in the past two AC games, how likely is it that it will not be included in a new AC game? I ask this because... doesn't it kind of limit the places you can recreate if the new areas need to have access to open sea and a time period when these kinds of ships were used?

It all depends on the location we go. We won't add naval combat to eras and time periods where it doesn't make sense.

140) As far as you know, has anyone at Ubisoft hinted at the posibility of an actual dedicated pirate game? The elements of AC:BF have basically laid the foundation of a pirate game... if it wasn't wrapped up in the AC universe and was an actual pirate game it would probably be the best there has ever been. Lets face it the animations, graphics, simulation and gameplay for ship combat etc were pretty damn great, how hard would it be to translate that into it's own game with expanded features and more in-depth ship control perhaps? Just wondering if it's been discussed.

This would be amazing. And yes, people have talked about it. We talk about everything.

141) Will we ever get back to the actual 'Assassin' part of AC? I feel like any assassination contracts/missions we've done lately haven't felt very assassin'y, they've been more... fight your way or just shoot the person you're after. I guess I miss sneaking around trying to find the best approach to get to your target.

What in your opinion were the most open-ended assassinations in the AC franchise so far? I think AC4 has the most refined stealth of the series, and some of the Assassinations -- like the Laurens Prins assassination and the Burgess and Cockram assassination -- are some of the most open ended. I do wish we would have had a few more social stealth assassinations though. Oh well.

142) Who decides on the setting for an AC game and how? If it's not you (the writer), if you could choose which location and time period in history would you like to visit the most?

Typically the Creative Director makes the first pitch to his or her team -- in AC4's case that would be Jean Guesdon -- and we discuss it for a while and do a bit of research and brainstorming. After this, we make a short presentation for the Ubi Execs in Paris, where we try to sell them the idea of the game. If they like it, the project is greenlit and we start working. For AC4, this process took just a few months. We started doing the research and prototyping in late August of 2011, and by November or December we had our greenlight to go go go.

143) I enjoyed the naval element in ACIV, suprisingly. Lol, maybe it was because of the 'pirate' theme. :p Of course, some people may not have enjoyed the naval element at all. Then, my question is, do you think the naval element will feature as much in future AC titles...?

A good gameplay system will never go to waste, so I'm sure we'll use the technology for something else. It doesn't necessarily have to be for Naval battles like AC4, but all that tech could be put to use in so many other ways....

144) I haven't actually finished ACIV yet, so I got up to Sequence 10 before my PS3 died. So, I've replaced it and I'm starting ACIV again (even better the second time round, you know ^_^). I've tried to avoid spoilers, but I get the impression that ACIV's end is a bit ambiguous. So, was ACIV: BF supposed to set up things for the next AC game and can we hope to see a new AC game in 2014?

Every game sets up plot points for the next game, yes. The only difference is, we want the emphasis to be on the historical stories, and we want the present day to feel like it has "self contained stories" so that people who are new to the series never feel lost. There were a lot of people for whom AC3 and AC4 were their first AC games. And with AC3, I'm sure they felt a bit confused with the modern day stuff.

145) Do you know if ACIV is the last AC title on current-gen consoles, or can we hope to see the next one (ACV?) on on both current and next-gen consoles? Most importantly, did you write the story for the next AC game? Reason being, I think ACIV is my new favourite!

Can't say any more about that... but we are incredibly excited for this new generation of consoles. I'm not going to talk about my level of involvement in the next AC game though, because I don't quite know the extent of it. But I'm definitely in the AC family for the foreseeable future.

146) I have finished all Ezio's story lines, ACII, ACB and ACR, plus ACIII and ACIV, but I did not recived any badges for this. Can you fix this?

That, alas, is outside my sphere of influence. Have you talked to Initiates support?

147)Is there at all a chance of the ac present day getting a new protagonist that isn't yourself? I thought personally that Desmond was great! And I feel that the only way for the ac present day to get get back on track as i feel is to introduce a new main character to replace Desmond.

It's not likely we'll get another protagonist like Desmond. Telling his story in a satisfying way was quite difficult as a constantly unfolding serial, especially with different teams working on various games. So we have decided to reformulate the present in a way that suits our production style. We look at it this way: We would rather tell a good story well, rather than tell a great story poorly.

148) P.S I was just wondering, if nobody happens to find the John from I.T easter egg then will you eventually reveal it to us?

I'll reveal it in a year if nobody finds it...

149) So, in the game we meet a certain character who comes close with Edward. Not only that, but they are an actual historical person. Even though they are just as prestigious as Anne Bonny, Calico Jack, Vane, and the others, they weren't in the trailer. Was avoiding to put this person in the trailer to kind of amp up the surprise when we find out who they really are? Because I did a bit of historical research and when I found out about this person, I thought, "they better have that person in the game. You can't have the others and not have this person."

Good observation. Yes, the cinematics team and I went to great lengths to tell marketing to not use "Him" in the trailers. And they listened right up until the end. So we almost got away with it. We knew we wouldn't fool everyone, but we were glad that it was a bit of a surprise to see such a unique character in an AC game. Also, its just good policy to keep some things hidden until release day. It keeps things fresh. We didn't say much about Bart Roberts either.

150) Will Rebecca and Shaun have a more of a major role in future game(s)?

I hope so! I'll do my best to make sure..

151) How do you choose the composers to make the soundtracks for the games? (I love all of them).

It's a combination of what our Audio director wants, the composers schedule, and a number of other creative factors.

152) What genes does Anne have to look older than she really is? I had to recheck her birth year at least five times. I'm twenty and apparently I look younger than her because people ask what middle school I attend.

Ha. No idea. She's supposed to be about 17 to 22 in our game. But we only wanted to make one model for her.

153) (I know you probably get asked this a lot but...) Will we have some closer on Connor's story? Something like an Ember's style movie, a short DLC, a novel, etc.? Just some kind of closer of what happens in the rest of his life?

There are no concrete plans currently. But that could change for any number of reasons.

154) Who is your favorite Templar and/or antagonist from any of the AC games? (Thomas Hickey and Charles Vane for me).

I love Woodes Rogers. I had hoped to do a little more with him in AC4. I also love Haytham. I wouldn't call Vane an antagonist though. He's just one of the guys who goes a bit mental.

155) Your writing brings the cities and locations in the games to life - in a way, they end up being a character themselves, and bring a whole new level of intrigue to the real-life place. What sort of features do you look for in a location in the real world, as a writer, in order to make it a dynamic, living environment in-game?

This is a very complicated question, with a long answer. But I am always looking for ways to make cities and game environments more systemic, and more immersive, without resorting to cutscenes and traditional forms of storytelling. So I'd love to see better "Story AI" with characters in cities who remember you, talk to you, etc.

156) Also adding, what do you like to do outside of writing? What keeps you grounded?

I write music, stories and books, and occasionally make films...

157) Will Juno story arc get a proper, epic ending?

It had better!

158) How will you make the next Assassins creed as exciting as this? I am i little worried that it might be a bit boring compared to Assassins creed 4 black flag, when you just had an AC game where you sailed and borded and well pirated. how will you make it as enjoyable?

We'll do our best to make it a unique and immersive experience...!

159) Do plan to keep writing ac stories? Corey and you have been writing the story so far and i fear new writers won't have the same passion/insight in the franchise as you and him. Anyway thanks for what you have already given us!

I do plan on writing more AC games, yes. But not every single one. So I probably won't be a huge presence on the next one... but we're one big family here, so I do have some input on every title. A little bit. And Corey is still here too, working as an AC overlord, reading all the scripts and making looooong lists of comments and revision suggestions. That's all I can reveal right now though...

160) Are you more focused on creating a game that attracts fans of of games that have less story value or you're following a pre-planned road for the series to take? does our opininos about the gameplay matter to the team? A lot of people have expressed wanting the Desmond Miles modern day missions style and you guys justified it by saying "It's hard". I think there's some lack of dedication here, rather than difficulty and trying to strip the franchise from it's story value and making it more of a GTA in historical times where people care more about what's in the world than why are we in the world and what's our purpose.

I did not say "its hard" as in "nobody wanted to make the effort." Its hard because the structure of our development process makes it difficult to plan an ongoing serial in the present day. Production realities just made it impossible to keep it going the way we originally formulated in 2006. That is a reality I cannot change. And so rather than complain about it, we have reconceptualized the present day to make this ongoing serial more feasable... and more self-contained for each game. And so, as I wrote to someone earlier -- we would rather tell a good story well, rather than tell a great story poorly.

Also, as I explained in an earlier post, when you split a game into two time periods, you essential require the team to make twice as many game assets ... this is an incredible waste of resources. If we focused on just one time period, we could use those resources to polish and improve the main game. This is why the Modern Day sections always felt a little underdeveloped in each game. We always focus on the historical aspect first, because it is hands down the most interesting piece of the puzzle for us, and the most popular aspect of the series. The Historical stories are the reason we make these games. This has been the case since AC2... ever since we realized very few people wanted a 50/50 present-past split.
    Of course fan opinions matter. But you cannot pretend that fans are unified around your opinion. The hard reality is this: the modern day portions of the AC franchise are not nearly as popular with 80 percent of people who buy our games. We know this because we do a lot of research. Some hardcore fans have a somwhat skewed idea about what is popular because they gather in forums and band together and reinforce each other's beliefs ... and so it gives them the impression that the modern day is incredibly popular, that it is "the main story". But polls, data tracking, and reading reviews tell us time and time again the historical settings are why people buy these games. (And please do not write a rebuttle that pits "real fans" against "noobs"... I don't dig that kind of elitism. I hear that too much.)

That being said, WE do believe in the modern day (we wouldn't have created Initiates if we didn't) but we are going to reformulate it in a way that makes more sense and does not break the flow of the historical stories... which has, since AC2, been the focus of most of our efforts. And in fact the Modern Day setting of AC4 got some very positive responses from people who previously hated it. So we think we found a good balance. I do feel bad for the people who absolutely loved the Desmond story, but to do that justice we would have had to dedicate a game solely to him. I don't think his story was ever told in a satisfying way in most of the games. They were just bite-sized chunks. This is why I wrote all the desmond memos in AC4... I wanted fans to have some better closure with him.

161) Every thought about going to a pre-Altair era wherher in The First Civilization times or post-Toba Catastrophe or any period of time before Altair such as the Sumerian civilization for example?

Yes indeed we have. That would be a pretty risky prospect, because it would be almost completely fantasy based. but it would be fun, and with First Civ technology we could come up with some crazy gameplay ideas.

162) Hello. You know, BF was a really touchable and good story but still it felt like an empty one and a little meaningless at the end. It was like: Oh, such a good story! But, so what? I went throught all the story just for this? I already knew all of that, is that it?

You already knew Edward's story and about the Sages before playing AC4? Are you spying on me?

163) Every AC game in the past used to have a historical story that serves a greater story, but here it wasn't anything. I've been a fan since AC1 came out and I've always said "AC has the best storytelling in a video game ever". Sadly, with AC4, I can see a huge step backwards.

Unfortunately for fans of the Modern Day story, yes, this is true. AC games have made people expect that the present day is always going to advance by leaps and bounds. But this is no longer the case. I think it's pretty obvious that since AC2 we have always put the bulk of the effort on the historical setting. So if you don't like Edward's story by itself... as a self contained narrative about a pirate bettering himself... then I can't really say anything to change your mind.

164) Are we gonna have a real protagonist on next games?

Not for the foreseeable future, no.

165) The story in ACIV was a lot less..convoluted shall we say than previous entries, and didn't carry the same heavy tone. It seemed like you wanted to make fun little break, with a solid story that would keep you interested, but not as intruiged as earlier games, in preparation for greater things to come. Firstly, am I correct in that conclusion? And secondly was that intentional from the begining?

I definitely wanted this game to have a lighter sense of humor, but I don't agree that it is less heavy. This game has the highest body-count of any AC game yet. Edward loses almost everyone he is close to, and it's mostly his fault. Perhaps what you are responding to is the scope of the game... this is the first AC game that doesn't deal with aristocrats and popes and noblemen... its more about working-class guys and ladies, just trying to get by in the world. So in that sense it definitely isn't as "grand" or "epic" ... but I wouldn't say it's less heavy.
    But if you weren't intrigued, that's too bad. I wanted to write a drama about interesting people, not epic events. I'm pretty happy with the way the characters turned out, which was my focus.

166) On Reddit you said that you would like to write darker story. So my question is what time period for you is best for that kind of story?

Any time period has the potential for darkness... you just need the right story and characters. But I have repeatedly said in interviews that I would love to set a game during the Irish war for Independance and the following Civil war. The film "The Wind That Shakes The Barley" would give you a good idea about how such a story would feel.

167) Also one question for AC4. Did you eve considered to make system where players could leave messages in bottles to other players?

We did have more ideas for social sharing, but never got around to them. One problem with leaving messages would be the fact that we'd have to monitor the content of the messages, so there was no spam and offensive material. Dark Souls does this through pre-selected messages, which is useful for that game... but might not be for ours.

168) Were you an AC fan since the beginning? Or did you only became interested when Ubi offered you a job?

Yes, I was a fan of AC1, which I thought was a flawed gem... and about a year after it was released the company I was working for in Seattle was hired to make AC:Bloodlines... which I asked to write. So I have been working on AC games since December of 2008. So long long ago in a country far far away.

169) Another question I have to ask, since I was incredibly sad to be honest when we didn't kill Woodes Rogers at the end, I thought it was going to be sort of like AC2 and the final and biggest assassination be in an different place (from florence and such to ROME to kill Rodrigo)..but sadly that didn't happen so will we get a completion to that quest? Through DLC maybe or a future game? And will the gap between IV and the III be filled? Will there be another Kenway game?

We argued about this assassination a lot during production. Since Woodes Rogers actually died in 1732, we couldn't kill him. But we still wanted a final confrontation... so we compromised on what is in the game. I did suggest doing a DLC where we take care of him once and for all, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
    Also, if you read the ACBF book, you'll see that Rogers is kicked out of the Templars when he returns to England. He just can't stop trading slaves... bad bad man

170) I've read here and on Twitter that you're disappointed with the amount of Calico Jack content that was ultimately included in the game. Would you mind filling us in a bit on what you had planned?

Sure. After Sequence 10, Edward was going to travel to Nassau to find Mary Read, hoping she could help Edward track down Roberts. When he arrives, he sees that Jack is still living there and dating Anne Bonny. Mary meanwhile is there trying to kill Rogers, but can't reach him because he knows the Assassins are eager to find him. At some point they would learn that Rogers has set sail for a small island nearby. Mary would decide this was the best way to catch him... and asks Anne and Edward for help. Together they sneak out of Nassau by stealing a ship. Anne would ask to take Jack with them, out of pity mostly (and because this actually happend in history). Together they would sail off in search of Rogers, but get stopped by the British before they were able to catch him. Because Jack and the rest of the crew are drunk below deck, only Anne, Mary, and Edward are able to fight. Eventually they are overwhelmed and thrown into prison in Kingston, and the story would continue pretty much as it does now....

Standard

171) And Can I just say that that ending was one of the best endings I have ever seen in a video game? Because it is. Not your usual video game ending...that's a book's ending. BEAUTIFUL.

Thanks! Forbes magazine agrees!

172) My question is as such. In AC4 marketing, we were constatntly told that I play as "myself"...and so do the millions of other people that bought AC4. But how can the modern story possibly apply to each and every AC4 player, meaning that there were millions of sages that visited millions of AC4 players and millions of Junos that appeared to us? Of course, this isn't the case. There must have been one human that met the sage and Juno, and it would make sense that this person would be their ownself, because these events could only happen to one individual. Was AC4's marketing intentionally inaccurate or am I not understanding the meta-realities correctly? If not, does that mean the special modern protag isn't actually faceless and he might play a bigger role (especially with what he got injected with?)?

Heh. Yes, very astute. You are playing YOU... yes. But you have to ignore all the other problems with this approach. Of course the other AC games have this problem too... everyone plays Altair's, Ezio's and Connor's stories differently, even when you get 100 percent synch.... yet we are supposed to believe that these are actually memories... which shouldn't be different for everyone.
    So yes, its not perfect. But it IS a way of getting YOU directly in the story.

173) I was wondering, is there anything you can tell us about the peice of eden discovered in Black Flag. Will we be seeing or hearing about it in the present day of future ac games or was it just something to make the game a bit more interesting. And just to add on, is there any hope of us rejoining the assassin brotherhood in the present day and being back with shaun and rebecca?

The Observatory isn't as important as who found it and what was inside. I think Abstergo probably has technology to rival the Observatory's function now. But they now have their hands on a Sage, and if they could find those blood vials... who knows what they might accomplish.
    As for Shaun and Rebecca... you will certainly see more modern day assassins.

174) Did you intend to make the relationship between Edward and Mary a bit fuzzy? Or am I being blind/missed something totally obvious?

No, there was no romance there. Only a deep friendship that suffered from time to time. Keep in mind that it is implied in sequence 3 that Edward has been friends with Ben, Ed, and "James" for quite a while already....
    Edward probably had a little crush on Anne though. But nothing happened there either.

175) Are you considering of making like Ezio's Embers...an extended epilogue for Connor?

Nothing right now... maybe in the future.

176) If there's a plan to have a sequel for Edward...I do hope that..would you like to take the helm for this one as well! Edward Character is really interesting.

It would be hard to leave him in the hands of another writer, indeed!

177) I find AC story line draws you in much like a film, and I feel that AC is at the top of the list of games that can do this. Before you start to write the story line is it the writers like yourself have input with the idea on which time in history to use.

I do have some input, yes, but usually it is the creative director -- in AC4's case, this was Jean Guesdon -- who chooses the time period. But I am not shy about offering my opinions. And once the time period is chosen, I do a hell of a lot of research...

178) Im not sure if anyones asked you this yet, but why has the modern day narrative taken such a back seat in the games while the amount of bloat in the 'in-animus' portion of the games ramped up?

That's an interesting way of looking at it. The historical part of the games has always been 95 percent of the game. So I'm not sure what you mean by "bloat". But we have definitely changed our approach to the Present Day narrative.

179) I loved the way you ended ACIV, but was disappointed to find out that animus fragments no longer had any real value outside of an achievement (yeahhhh i was hoping Desmond might appear S16 style!)

Yeah, we should have made those a little more valuable. BUT, you do unlock more Animus Hacks if you find them. So they are good for that.

180) The Sci-Fi stuff is what drew me to the series originally but now it seems to be less of a part of the series.

I think you'll find we're as Sci-Fi as ever, we just approach the story differently. The Observatory was just as Sci-Fi as anything in previous games. AC4 game to have a First Civ location be a part of the main Plot... in AC2 and ACB for insance, the Sci-Fi stuff came only at the very end.

181) Are you considering the idea of an Animus-within-an-Animus like suddenly we wake up in the future and discover that all this is someone else watching all this through an animus in the year 2100 for example or maybe that all this is just one possibility that Minerva's watching through the Eye?

From the whispers I have heard around the office over the years, this was one of many possible endings considered WAAAAAAAY back in the past. But it was discarded pretty quickly. It's too close to an"it was all just a dream" solution, which almost always backfires.
    Trust me when I say we have already thought of EVERYTHING fans have dreamed up. And more. We eat and dream AC for a living. There's nothing we haven't considered.

182) I can see that, based on pre-release images and gameplay demos that you change up the characters and protagonists ever so slighty, yet making noticable differences, so my questions are: What factor makes you say "this is how twe want him/her to look"?

Usually we change characters simply because the Art Director or Creative Director isn't quite happy with the design. For instance, Mary Read's design was not finalized until June of this year. Very late. We are always changing things up until the end, but our Marketing guys need to be able too sell the game with images... so we don't have the luxury of giving them final art.

183) How much research do you have to do when creating the outfits (ie Connor's colonial Assassin robes)?

I would have to ask the artists. I assume they do quite a bit of research. Old paintings, drawings and woodcuts and so forth are a huge help.

184) Will we ever be able to do more like the ACIII Desmond missions, or are we going to be doing the walking around in Abstergo in 1st person again?

There won't be another 3rd person character, but the next AC won't be set in Abstergo Entertainment either. Each new AC will have a unique present day approach.

185) Ubisoft succeeded in presenting great gameplay mechanics. But ultimately failed in creating an Assassin's Creed game" a sentence said by number of fans. How do you respond to it? and does this affect the decision making of future AC titles or you're walking according to a plan that will never change?

This is a game about the Creed, not about being an assassin. That was our goal from the beginning. End of story.

186) Hello,i have two questions : Will we see Minerva and Tinia again on a next AC and what about ERUDITO ??

Probably not the former two, but Erudito is always a possibility.

187) Hi, how can i unlock the ratonhaketon outfit for the huntsman in assassins creed 4 black flag multiplayer?

I have no idea. Sorry. It's not really my area of expertise.

188) Could you explain some work you've done for better accuracy with our questions.

For AC, I have written: Bloodlines, Discovery, Lost Legacy (cancelled), Revelations, Embers, and AC4.

189) can you get me a v.o in the next release.

Talk to your agent.

190) it say chose the platform and it stay on that plantform for the awards but there no ps4 space of i dont know what to do should i click on ps3 but if i does not go on ps4 i lost the award.

I noticed that too. I don't know what to do about. Time to talk to the Initiates fellas.

191) What is the next time zone of the Assassins Creed games.

Tsk tsk. Not allowed!

192) How do you decide who/what is culturally relevant or significant enough to introduce in your writing? And when do you decide to invent history or a character instead of adapting something or someone else from the time period?

We choose time periods based on a few critera: Does it have interesting, fairly recognizable historical characters; does it have interesting locations to explore; were the historical events influential on a broader scale, culturally or politically. If the answer is yes to these questions, we then set about inventing a character who would fit nicely into this era. We will probably never have you play as a real person, because we want maximum flexibility in how we tell our story.

193) This may be a lesser question, but how did you decide to change the color scheme of Edward's Assassin Outfit to blue and white from the traditional white and red? Was this your decision to make or was it in the end the concept artists and production team's decision? And if so, what made you choose blue?

Connor's was blue and red too. And Ezio's rev costume was grey and red. So it's not a new departure. I guess it was just our art director's decision.

194) Thanks for taking the time to read my questions and everyone else's on initiates. And don't let the haters get you down, if their gonna leave the franchise for something as mundane as 1st person vs. 3rd person for some 5% of the game they're not a true fan.

Hater's gonna hate. I like them.

195) First will there be any of Juno in WatchDogs? From what I know of Juno this situation would make sense.

No, they are their own game un the Ubiverse. We like to put easter eggs like this in our games, but they are not literally connected.

196) Black Flag was the first AC game i played and completed and after the end Im really confused by the overall plot line. I dont have access to play the other titles. What would be the best way to get the whole story line for all of the Assassins Creed plot line?

Initiates is a good place to go, as is the fan wiki...

197) Hey Darby! Out of all the shanties out there, how did you choose which ones to put in the game and also the Watch_Dogs reference of CtOS was great. Did you plan on doing that or was it a last minute thing?

The shanty "pirate radio" with collectables was my idea WAAAAAY back in 2011. I pitched it to our Audio director, Aldo, and he and his genius team made it happen.
    Anyway, after sumbmitting my list of songs, Aldo surprised me a few months later by saying "We're not doing 16 songs... we're doing 70. Begob, that blew me mind. He showed me the list, and I couldn't have been happier.
    As far as the Parting Glass goes, I had always planned to end the game with that too, so it was in the mix as well.
    As far as the W_D reference goes, that was planned for a while too. Just something all the teams like doing for one another.

198) I do not care if this means 5 or even 200 more games, each with bits of pieces of the true fight. I just want one thing that can leave me satisfied with an outcome. I mean in terms of the fight between mankind and the bad dudes of the First Civilization. The fight can end with a winner, so just end it.

This is a difficult concept, I think, because our games are about the clash of two major philosophies -- Assassins and Templars. So how do you end that? AC games don't have the traditional melodramatic fight between good and evil, so its hard to conceptualize how we would "end" this fight. If we had one main villain, perhaps we could. But the clash of philosophies would go on... and that is intellectually and creatively interesting to us. It feels real, and mature, and complex.
    I grew up with my parents talking very proudly about their Irish heritage, and as a result I loved reading about the history of Ireland when I was a young lad. And one of the things that confused and confounded me was the fight in the North between the Protestants and Catholics. As a young kid, I couldn't understand why two groups would fight for such a long time about what looked to be a tiny piece of land. But as I got older I realized the fight was not over land but over a type of philosophy... about people's identities, their histories, and their sense of culture. The fighting raged on for a century because it was intimately bound up in what people believed deep in their hearts. It is (was?) a sad and horrible conflict, and it had no easy solutions, no clear bad guys and good guys, and no grand conclusion.

In our wildest dreams, we want the Assassins versus Templar fight to feel like this. And so for that reason there cannot really be an "End" to the conflict, although we certainly could end the story itself. But ultimately I think it would be hard to satisfy everyone. Because there are many positives about the templar viewpoint, and many horrible things about the Assassins... and vice versa. How can we pick a "winner" and not feel dishonest?
    That being said, I DO hope we can keep making little story arcs that have clear beginnings middles and ends. The fans deserve at least that.

199) I was just curious if anyone knows if the promos for in-game content i.e kenway family sword will be accesible to ps4. i bought these item exclusivly for ps4 but when i go t redeem them it does not give me an option to. so was just curious if they will ever be or if ill just have to have them on my ps3 version any ways if anyone has info please message me on here or email me.

Not sure. Have you contacted support? Sorry!

200) Altair and Ezio were really cool characters to play, as is Edward, but Connor I really couldn't warm to. Would it be possible to have another game with Edward?

I would love to write another Edward game if we were given the right resources. But I don't think that's going to happen. Most of the important parts of Edward's life have been told.

Standard

201) Is it possible for two Sages, two "reincarnations" of Aita to exist simultaneously? Or is it once-a-generation.

Yes, absolutely. In fact one of the Sages from the late 1600s, Thom Kavanaugh (from the bottled messages) existed at the same time as Bart Roberts. There could be a few at any given time. There are probably a few in the world RIGHT NOW.
    He looks rather familiar? I think he is a singer or something...

202) What exactly is the contents of the injection which John from IT put in the PlayerCharacter?

It was a sedative. He probably intended to kidnap you and perform wicked experiments on you.

203) Hey my question is why did you stray from the assassins in black flag what made you guys make the game more of a pirate game with assassins in the background?

We wanted to make a game about why the Creed is important in the first place. In previous games, we make the player join the Assassins right away, and assume that this is a good thing. But we wanted to show WHY it is a good thing. We wanted to show you that unlimited freedom is not always a good thing, and that the assassins more responsible freedom is a better way to go. But we didn't want a bunch of dudes standing around talking about this. We wanted you to play it for yourself.

204) Would you be thinking of making a game based around Haytham or from another templars perspective?

Oh yes, we consider this option all the time. It may even happen one day. I actually happen to think that open world games favor the templar mindset more than the Assassin mindset. Open world games encourange domination and control from the player... control Borgia towers and forts, kill waves of enemies, find treasure and collectables, etc etc. So I think an open world Templar game would be interesting.

205) How did you first think of the observatory?

I was interested in the theme of surveillance, both in the modern day and the past. So I thought, "how would the First Civ keep watch over their human slaves... just as many governments keep watch on their citizens today. So I invented the Observatory as an ancient equivalent to this. Also, I am not a big fan of Uber powerful science fiction devices. The Apple of Eden was a little too crazy... it seemed like it could do everything, like Doctor Who's sonic screwdriver. So I wanted to invent a device that had a more grounded and obvious use.

206) How tempting was it to throw in lots of references to pirates of the carribean?

Not tempting at all, actually. I did't like those films after the first one... I much preferred "master and commander".

207) Have you considered digging depper into the Auditore family and making another AC game about e.g. Giovanni Auditore (I'am aware of the Lineage project) ?

No, the Auditore's are done. We had some good times with them.

208) Why there is so little of Shaun and Rebecca in Black flag ?

Well theres not much of anyone really... its very short yes? But the main reason is, we moved you, the player, inside Abstergo... where Shaun and Rebecca wouldn't be safe... so they can't appear too much.

209) Will present-day storyline be continued in the Freedom Cry DLC ?

No present in the DLC, no.

210) I know that parts of Aquilus' story from the book "Aquilus" are confirmed canon but what about the other french comic books? Is it safe to assume that all the modern day parts of those stories are uncanon while the stories of Aquilus, Accipiter and El Cakr are completely canon?

This is a tough question. Those books are written for French audiences, and not by anyone from the Ubi Mtl team, where the games are made. So while we sometimes collaborate with them, we don't have control over their stories. So... you be the judge.

211) Is the "Rising Phoenix" poster in AC4 just trolling or is it actually something real to look forward to? I think I've read that the original "leaked" pictures were proven to be fake(edited wolfenstein pictures or something like that). Can you shed some light on this?

My lips are sealed! Sorry.

212) We've known you in the main saga thanks to "Revelations", a chapter which, being placed inside Ezio's Saga, went to build part of the first trilogy. Today with Black Flag, instead, you took on a DE-construction of the saga, providing elements that could reopen the doors of a main narrative strand. What are the differences and difficulties between the two approaches?

DAMN good question, and far too complicated for me to answer here. But to clarify, I have been working on AC since Altair's story in Bloodlines... since late 2008. So a bit longer than you might think. And that may ultimately be the anwer to your question... we wanted to tell a different story with AC4. Since AC2, most of the plots of the AC games have revolved around a dutiful Assassin exacting his revenge on someone, while serving the needs of his order. We wanted to tell a fresh story, from a different angle. So the decision was really to give us something fresh to work on and the fans something new to play.

213) In which elements is writing a pirate different from writing the protagonists of the previous chapters?

Edward is not bound by a larger duty, although he does have a fondness for his friends and their "cause". But he is not driven by an ideal like most assassins should be. So it gave me the chance to take the character places most Assassins could not go. Also, I think the structure of open world gameplay matches the pirate theme more closely than the Assassin theme. There is a reason that Red Dead Redemption and GTA games usually have you play criminals... its because the player's urge to run around and dominate the world reigns supreme. Assassins creed games have all had this too, in their gameplay, and yet we keep pretending these assassins are noble, honorable soldiers. Sometimes the gameplay and the story can clash pretty badly.

214) Which games were important as source of inspiration for ideas or game mechanics for the creation of AC IV?

Sid Meiers Pirates and Wind Waker and AC1 and AC2, mostly.

215) In which historical period and what kind of character would you like to write in the next AC, if you could choose? Why?

Revolutionary Ireland (1910 - 1925)

216) We know, also from the letters left by Thom Kavanagh that the Sages have an inner instinct that lead them to the destruction or to ask for the destruction of their body so that it does not fall into the hands of the Templars. The fact that John's corpse is in Abstergo's possession breaks a sort of chain. Does this bring some sort of implications? And if that's the case, of which kind?

Yes, Abstergo has Johns body, and will be looking for those missing blood vials. Very bad things may soon happen... Stay tuned....

217) Now that the memories are all on Cloud, will it be possible to revisit say Subject 16 again? He's one of my favorite characters and I missed him.

Presumably, Abstergo could explore all of his memories now too, right? I wonder who else he was related to....?

218) Will we ever deal further. with "Calculations" as in the Tyranny DLC or as Desmond discusses in the Phone Recordings in Black Flag?

A few of us here REALLY wanted to do a crazy "Devils of the Carribean" pirate fantasy DLC, like a silly pirate simulator made by Abstergo Entertainment. Sort of like FarCry's Blood Dragon. But it would have taken waaaaay more resources than we have available to do it right.

219) Hi Darby ! I've read some of your answers and you said that for AC3 you would have add the "deleted scenes". Could you tell us what were these scenes ? There were some leakes on YT such as Connor's monologue, or Desmond's dialogue with Cross but I'd like to learn more about it if you agree

I wasn't as close to AC3 as other people so I couldn't actually tell you. Most of what I see I saw on YouTube, or remember from very old versions of the script I read 2 years ago. Sorry!
    Thanks for all the kind words!

220) Do the writers keep an internal encyclopedia that you can reference to keep track of everything everyone comes up with or do you all just wing it?

We do, yes. But we're all so busy that we often conside the fan wiki to be MORE comprehensive than ours!

221) How do you explain away inconsistencies such as Sofia Sartor's hair in Revelations being a deep auburn/brown color vs Embers where it's the classic carrot red and SPOILER Haytham in AC3 having black hair vs the end of AC4 where his hair's blonde END SPOILER? Then there's also Edward being mentioned to have dark hair in Forsaken but is clearly blonde in AC4.

This is mostly the result of many teams working on things simultaneously, as in the case of Sofia, or the detail being so small that people don't even realize it exists, as in the case of Edward's hair in Forsaken. As for Haytham's hair... man that one still makes me mad. I don't get why they screwed that up. BUT, lots of kids have lighter hair when they are young... so I guess his hair just got darker over time.

222) How much free reign is Oliver Bowden given when he writes the novels? Is he given a general outline to follow and the game script or is he pretty much told what to write?

Generally the author of the novel comes to meet with us for a few days and we create an outline over the course of a week. Then we give them our script so he can follow it as closely as possible. So he has always had a good amount of input, but is required to stay within the boundaries that we provide.

223) I understood, that we won't have present time in future games similar as "Desmons story". But will we have one main storyline for next several AC games? Or every next Assassin's Creed game will have new present time storyline?

It's always going to be one coherent storyline, but it will be told from many different angles and viewpoints. So the next AC for example, will not be told inside Abstergo Entertainment. We will find a new presentation and new gameplay. It might not even be in 1st person. But it will always be "you" as opposed to a Desmond type character.

224) Will there be events or challenges come where we are able to use our naval combat skills, wouldn’t it be great to face difficult enemies? Or what does u think in a multiplayer naval combat; there are so many nice options to make it awesome. Like example one face one battle, the winner receive money from the loser for example, or a team defense a fort for some time and the other team need to bring down and kill them but ofc the defense team can use hiding skills etc. What’s your opinion about that?

We would LOVE do to multiplayer battles, so hopefully in the future that will happen. We considered it for AC4, but we knew it would be a massive undertaking and didn't focus on it for this iteration. But there are lots of champions in the studio for naval multiplayer, so we are hopeful!

225) What was that story on Vidic recordings about Aileen Bock?? It involves the pirates of Edelweiss and the Assassin´s order on WWII. Is this a hint for the next game??

Anything could be a hint about the next game, you know us.
    The Edelweiss pirates was something I came across in my research and I thought they were so fascinating that I had to use them for something. It didn't take long to get the idea to put them in the audio drama that I had planned. It fit so well. So I stuck the two together, and there we go!

226) Will Juno be defeated one day, or she will remain our main enemy forever (or at least 5-6 more games)? You know, like Shredder in TMNT universe, or Joker in Batman universe. Then they can be defeated, but always coming back.

The idea with Juno (and her followers) is to provide an enemy that both Templars and Assassins need to be careful of. But she's not terribly powerful now, so it may take a few games to get there. We'll see. We have ideas....!

227) If you could pick the next AC game where would you take it?

Check back a page or two where I write about the Irish Revolution and Civil war. That's where I'd go.
    This film would definitely be an inspiration. "The Wind That Shakes The Barley"

228) Did you get some direction from the executives for writing the story or did you get the full control over your story?

The core creative team has control over the story. If you look at the story credits you'll see three people: Me, the Creative Director Jean Guesdon, and the Mission-World Director Mustapha Mahrach.

229) Did you work on the story based upon the gameplay premise or the gameplay was built around your story?

We always pick the location first, and decide what the new gameplay elements will be. Then we do historical research, and make sure we understand the major themes and conflicts of the era, then we create the story. In this case, we felt that the Pirate theme was a good way to explore the concept of "Freedom"... and how the Pirates, Assassins and Templars all have different interpretatons of this word.

230) Last question and it is a pool of questions since I was expecting this from your story line for AC4 and I did not feel it deep enough while I was playing the game:

Judging by your examples, I can see that you and I have very different ideas about what constitutes a "deep" story. For me, depth comes from complex emotions and well rounded characters, as well as difficult political situations and culture clashes. It sounds like you enjoy the mystery aspects of Assassins Creed, the "What-If" scenarios, and the hidden histories behind ordinary reality. I DID want to explore the Mayan culture in more depth, but there wasn't enough time. And to be honest, most Pirates would not have come in contact with this stuff... so, unfortunately, we just grazed it. Alas.

231) And 1 more question about Lucy Stillman - I know that she was templar and a traitor to the assassins.

If we get away from the idea that Assassins are good and Templars are bad, which we always should, then we can assume that yes, Lucy probably did care very deeply for Desmond and that yes -- had she lived -- she might have tried to bridge the gap between Assassins and Templars, or maybe put pressure on Desmond to join the Templars, or who knows what... lots of possibilities. After all poeple are human first, ideologues second.

232) Why wasn't Mary mentioned in the trailer or part of the Pirate Heist Trailer? I'm guessing this was to amp up the surprise when Kidd reveals who they really are, but even then we didn't see much of "Kidd" in the trailers.

Just to make sure she was a decent surprise, and to not spoil EVERY plot point of our game before it came out.

233) Will Rebecca and Shaun have more of a major role in future a game(s)?

We'll see....

234) (I know you probably get asked this a lot but...) Will we have some closer on Connor's story? Something like an Ember's style movie, a short DLC, a novel, etc.? Just some kind of closer of what happens in the rest of his life?

I do get asked that a lot, yes. There is nothing planned right now, but plans change very rapidly when it comes to extra content. So who knows...?

235) Who are your favorite Templars, antagonist, and/or "bad guy" from the series? (Thomas Hickey and Charles Vane for me)

I like Woodes Rogers, Charles Lee, Haytham, Ahmet, and Al Mualim...

236) Next Assassin's Creed in the present day, we will play with ''we'' again?? At the exact point where the story left off? after we did the research Memories of Edward?

You will probably play "YOU" again, but in a very different situation... not Abstergo Entertainment.

237) I thought you would bring back Eve descendant and go on, you know. But now, I fell betrayed, I enjoyed the games, but it's like I've done all this road for nothing.

Wait... why can't we bring back Eve's decendant? You wouldn't play as that character, but we can still tell that story. Nothing in the present day story has changed, except the person you are playing.

238) Why not simply put back AC1's gameplay, it get the job perfectly done AND it satisfies EVERYONE. Fans can interact to engage side discussion (lucy, vidic) and casual can bypass it.

This is easy to type, but not easy to design. As I have explained elsewhere on these forums in some detail, making the present day sections is not just simply a matter of adding a few more levels... it requires completely new design concepts. For example, in ACB, they introduced the brotherhood mechanic. That alone took six months to program ... if we wanted to do a modern day setting and make it GOOD, we would have to invest in many many more systems like modern crowds, cars, cell phones, skyscrapers, guns... etc. All of these are systems that we don't need for the historical story. So it would be like designing two entirely separate games.

This is why the modern day settings have always been so short and not always satisfying... because we focus on the historical parts. And we started to realize that the modern story was getting bigger and bigger, without adding better gameplay. So we decided to take a different approach that keeps the story intact, but doesn't lead to the player expectation of a full modern day parkour experience.

239) It seems a shame that we have Oliver Bowden's books based on the games but that there won't be games based on the books/comics that fill in the gaps. Is there a possibility this might happen one day, or are those stories too constrained? I'd love to see (per my previous post) an older Edward, with a very young Haytham and how *he* ended up a Templar (which I know now from reading some of your posts is covered by a book).

There is always the possibility that transmedia stuff might appear, but this all depends on the popularity of the characters and the availability of resources in our studios. I like your ideas...!

240) How did you end up writing such awesome content for AC? It sounds like something I'd really like to do!

I have no idea! I'm pretty lucky to be here, I think. And I do my best to give you all as much content as possible.

241) In Freedom Cry, will Adewale's fight style with his machete be like a single sword, or more like Aveline's and Connor's small weapons?

I actually don't know. The DLC was developed in Quebec City, so they took the creative lead for the gameplay. We'll know in a few days though!

242) When do the present day events of Assassin's Creed: Brahman take place, because they haven't been recorded on this website barring one memory. Or is it that Initiates do not have any resources to know what's going on in the Asian subcontinent?

They take place now. Initiates will get around to it one day, I assume.

243) i'd like a decent ending for connor like all the other main characters. it doesn't have to be a game. it could be like edwards Forsaken.

You're not alone. I hope one day we can do something small for Connor.

244) Is it fair to assume that you and corey may will be taking it in turns as lead writer on AC games for the foreseeable future?

It's not fair to assume anything in this strange industry. But Corey and I both still work at Ubi and both have our eyes on the AC games.

245) How do I get a job as a playtester for Assassin's Creed?

Apply for a job, if there are any openings...?

246) You previously mentioned that you had to cut certain storyline elements 'and I'm guessing gamplay elements' due to time constraints, with this in mind, has ubisoft ever considered holding off the annual release for one year, just to have that time in the bank to work on all upcoming installments?

Everyone wants to have more time to make their games. Most people on every team want to keep working on the game until it is 100 percent perfect and finished. But this isn't the reality of business. One of the little talked about bonuses of AC being a strong yearly title is that it provides a good solid income for Ubisoft, and allows the company to invest in slightly more risky projects that might not sell as much at first. Without AC, we might not have been able to spend the time developing Watchdogs in the same way, or Farcry 3, or FC3: Blood Dragon, or Child of Light. Too often gamers think of game titles as solo isolated events. But Ubisoft is a big company with thousands of employees and millions of good ideas. We are one big family, and we want all projects to benefit one another. Thankfully for fans, we ALSO spend a good amount of time on AC games as well, with talented people taking the lead. This ensures that a quality game like AC4 can come out just a year after the last game... some people would prefer we not do this, but there ARE a lot of benefits people are not always aware of.

247) In ACIV we can read some lecters written by the Sage Kavanagh where we can find some dialogues between Juno, Jupiter, Minerva and Aita. The fifth method of salvation looks like the genesis of the hybrids? That's right?

I can't recall if we numbered them.

248) If yes, how is possible that this creation is set in a moment after the start of the war?

If I recall the timelines right, the methods of Salvation were reasearched in response to the Solar Event, not the war. So they could have been working on these long before the war started. But I should say I am a little unclear on the timeline because Corey wrote all this.

249) If no, where come from the first hybrids Adam and Eve that make possible the rebellion?

They could have come from earlier experiments or from the experiments mentioned above.

250) How many more ac games do you expect before the series comes to an end.Please answer my question and i love your work with the franchise

When people get tired of it, I imagine. This is the sort of series that has far too many possibilities to ignore. But we DO want to start and end particular storylines. Each one should, in my opinion, run a few years, then move on to something else.

251) Hey Darby, as sad as I was to see Desmond leave the AC Franchise, I felt like the end of his story was very fitting. What made you guys decide that doing the modern day stuff from a first person view was the way to go? Did you consider bringing in a new Desmond-like character?

No we never considered another third person character like Desmond. Over the past 3 years we struggled to tell Desmond's story the right way, but could never manage to make it shine like the historical stories did. It was a great premise that didn't always get the love and polish it needed. So with AC4 we devised a way to keep the present day settings, but ensure that we could always tell a decent story with a nice beginning middle and end. We'll continue down this path for a while, experimenting with different settings, with you as the main character.

252) Any plans to change te Multiplayer experience? Free Roam? Naval Combat? Hand-to-Hand combat? create your own assassin? anything?

We're looking into things. We always have plans to do lots of things, but we take them in the order that seems most feasible at the time.

253) Are there any plans to expand the map with more towns or cities in the single player of ACIV:BF??

No, unfortunately.

254) Can you give us any info about the movie XD?

No, unfortunately.

255) Have you thought in the idea of making a game based on Aquilus/Accipiter or Nikolai?

Nikolai would be great. But no, we haven't. The comic book guys did a great job with that.

256) Will future sequels have naval combat as an essential part of gameplay?

Now that we have the technology, we'll probably break it out when it's appropriate. But it needs to fit the story. If we set the next game on one of Jupiter's moons, for instance, probably not.